Roar of Thanks

Hala Louviere, News Editor

Even before Paws 4 A Cause begins, Copper Hills serves the community. Being in need isn’t just a December occurrence; there are people in the Grizzly Nation who need help throughout the year. National Honor Society recognized this, and decided to serve before Paws 4 A Cause.

At the beginning of November, N.H.S. members attended a meeting where they learned they would be creating ‘Thanksgiving Boxes.’ Baileigh Beebe, N.H.S. Media Coordinator, came up with this project to ensure families had a holiday meal and plenty of food over the break. It began with each student signing up to donate some food, whether it be a turkey or canned vegetables. The goal was to make 8 boxes full of Thanksgiving dinners, but they knew they could do better. Vivian Lee, N.H.S. President, believed that bar was set too low and wanted to make more. “I think we should always shoot for higher goals, especially when we’re trying to do something for others,” Lee said. “Service isn’t about getting recognition, it’s about helping as many people as possible. The higher the goal the more we can achieve.” A higher goal began to look reachable as people donated. In the two weeks between the meeting and Thanksgiving, the Media Center workroom filled with food. Other clubs were involved, spreading the word and bringing in food.

On Tuesday, members of N.H.S. put together the boxes. In the end they made 16 boxes. Lee stated she was inspired by how much the students of Copper Hills can do. “It was such a great feeling to see how many people all over are willing to help,” she explained, mentioning the help other clubs gave as well. N.H.S. officers and club members delivered the packages anonymously that evening. They went to the families who might not otherwise be able to afford a lavish Thanksgiving dinner, and allowed them to celebrate the holidays just as much as everyone else. Copper Hills gives to its community throughout the year, and does more than just Paws 4 A Cause.