Cheating Group Chat

At Taylorsville High School, A Group Chat Gets Out of Hand

A+group+chat+that%27s+asking+for+answers.+
A group chat that's asking for answers.

A group chat that's asking for answers.

Baileigh Beebe

Baileigh Beebe

A group chat that's asking for answers.

Aubrey Virgin, Opinion & Lifestyle Editor

Cheating, by definition, is an act that is dishonest or unfair in order to gain advantage. Students hear about cheating all of the time, but if anyone really wants to get a scoop on modern-day cheating, they have to set their sights on Taylorsville High School. Last year, there was a group chat where students sent answers for assignments, quizzes and tests.

“I sat down one day and the girl next to me had a picture of the answers to the quiz we were taking,” said an anonymous student from Taylorsville High. The group chat had over 80 people in it, but it didn’t start that way. The chat started with a small group of friends that slowly caught others’ attention. It mostly had last year’s juniors, that were, according to the same anonymous student, “cool enough” to be in it.  The subjects that it mostly had answers to include: language arts, math, chemistry and physics. The chat was also used for whenever someone wanted to sluff. A person could just ask what was going on and/or if there was a sub and know if he/she could show up or not. The student said they, “lowkey wanted to be in it.” The craziest part for these students? They never got caught. Are Taylorsville’s rules on sluffing and cheating less-enforced than Copper Hills’?

Some may feel that way. However, not anywhere in the student code of conduct or in the beginning-of-the-year homeroom disclosure is there any mention of a no-cheating rule. It could be assumed that cheating was supposed to be covered in individual classroom disclosures. There are many teachers who will mention it, but students know that cheating isn’t allowed, so why does it happen? Was this just an isolated incident or is this more common than meets the eye? An anonymous senior at Copper Hills said, “that’s what group chats are for.” Looks like Taylorsville isn’t the only place where chats are used for the mischievous student’s advantage.

According to plagiarism.org, 59% of high school students admitted cheating on a test during the last year, 34% self-reported doing it more than two times, and one out of three students admitted to using the internet to plagiarize an assignment. This is a large amount of students that cheated and the statistics only show the ones that admitted to it. While the stress of school and grades increases, it seems so has the amount of cheating. It is on the rise and there may not be much we can do to stop it. Technology is a huge factor when it comes to students even being able to. It’s become easier, so there shouldn’t be much surprise that it’s happening. Cheating at school is something that may never stop but being aware of it could be one step towards seeing if it can be.