Singing to Success

How Copper Hills Choir Director Mark Taylor is Changing the Game

Mark Taylor conducts choir from behind the piano.

Mandy McAnally

Mandy McAnally

Patrick Hawkins, Art & Entertainment Editor

One-sixteenth: the portion of students enrolled at Copper Hills that are involved in its choir. A thirty-three percent increase from last years 150 students. This year that number has increased to an exciting 200, a possible encouraging foreshadow of the also increasing success of the CHHS choir.

This will be Mr.Taylor’s fourth year leading the program as teacher and advisor, and he is preparing his choirs to progress even further than their previous achievements. Mr. Taylor prides himself on the way he conducts his classes, with not only his hands, but with his teaching methods as well. He has acquired a very unique style of teaching compared to those of different high schools, capability of comprehension versus flat out memorization. This means students graduating with his teachings under their belts will have the upper hand when it comes to their abilities to understand the expected requirements of a well-rounded musician. No other high school can be considered nearly as proficient when it comes to sight singing and reading. This is because other schools will simply pound out lines of notes into their student’s heads, hoping that doing so will brand their vocal chords with the patterns of composure. Mr. Taylor is strongly against this method of teaching and prefers setting up students for their own individual ability to understand the placement of pitches on the pages and how their own parts correspond to the differing parts around them. Using this style of instruction he will cultivate his choirs to become even more achieving, proving that he has the ability to take the choirs to the next level the way he has the years prior.

Two of his classes, the first being Madrigals and the second being Concert Choir, are superior ranked. This is a new title for the choirs here, but all the same very deserved. The only way that “superior ranked” can be improved upon is by receiving higher scores when performing at state. Do not confuse Mr. Taylor’s goals to be that of only improving upon ratings received at state, this is simply a tangible measurement to prove the acceleration of his choir program’s ability.  

Concert Choir and Madrigals are not Mr. Taylor’s only classes, they just happen to be the only groups that attend competitions. He has numerous other classes, such as Mixed Choir, Men’s Choir and Women’s Choir. These classes are centered around growth and improving students skills, so that they may be able to audition for Concert Choir and Madrigals their forthcoming years.

To see the program’s growth and capability, try attending some of this season’s upcoming concerts, competitions and events.