Walking Alone

Many Students go Through School Without Parental Support

Lexi Hilton

Lexi Hilton

Christina Tran, Managing Editor

Parents can play the most important roles in someone’s life. They guide and shape their children into the person they have the potential to be. They give unconditional love and support, and that can inspire their kids to reach for dreams that may seem unreachable. But what happens when a parent decides not to play a part in a child’s life? What happens when major influences on a student’s life disappear?

High school is a vital time for teenagers. It is where we question what we want for our future and what kind of person we want to become. This process can sometimes be simplified via the wisdom of parents, but not all teenagers have a parental figure in their lives.

High school is the last stop for teenagers before they’re sent off into the real world. It’s the scariest time for teenagers, and parents influence is so powerful during this time. “They [parents] play a vital role,” said Joel Sundquist, a psychology teacher at Copper Hills. “Are they emailing teachers? Are they showing up to parent teacher conferences?” It can be as simple as a parent asking their kid what they learned at school for the day.

Parents don’t always play an active role in their children’s lives. They leave, and they either try too hard to be in their lives or they don’t try at all. Sometimes, people without parental figures don’t have this problem, and that isn’t an easy thing to come to terms with. Others don’t realize that they have a problem with the abandonment until they have to truly face the fact. They have no choice but to face it when Mother’s Day or Father’s Day comes about or when they see a strong relationship between a child and a parent. Regardless of the circumstances, everyone typically starts at the same place. No one accepts it right away. Often times, people wonder if they played a part in their parents leaving. Truth is, while children can have an impact on parent relationships and struggles, parents make that choice themselves and need to be held accountable.

This doesn’t define you. Just because your mom or dad walked out on you, doesn’t mean others will. There will be people who love and support you. There will be people who can turn into a father or mother figure. Teachers can become your best friends. Counselor’s offices can become a safe haven. A classroom can become a second home. It all depends on if you’re willing to open your heart to other people.