Got Filters?

Red Lights on Fountains Don't Mean Empty, They Mean Non-Existant

Rusted+water+flows+from+a+dressing+room+sink.+
Rusted water flows from a dressing room sink.

Christina Tran

Christina Tran

Patrick Hawkins, Opinion and Lifestyle Editor

How often during the week do students and faculty fill a water bottle at one of the numerous fountains around the school? Has there ever been worry about the hard, red light at the top of the machines filling each bottle? These are the lights that show the level of how effective the water filters are, and when a new one needs to be put in. But red tends to be a correspondent of “not good” and “stop completely,” so why has no one ever questioned the water going into their bottles, or hesitated to place them under the spigots?

The issue isn’t about the filters in each fountain not being replaced, it’s about how there weren’t any filters there to begin with. When Jordan School District came into the school to install the water fountains, filters were not included. “It caused the district a lot of extra work, so they just got rid of them. They don’t even install them anymore,” said Brady Bartholomew, the head of the Copper Hills janitorial staff. Despite the fact that there is no filtered water, Bartholomew reassures us that the water is perfectly safe to drink. “If you’re ever really concerned about it, take a water sample and take it down to the Board of Health and they’ll check it for you.” The singular and minute difference separating the water students are offered from the faucets in their homes, and the water streaming out of the fountains here at Copper Hills, is the often-vibrant, orange hue.

During the construction of the high school, galvanized pipes were used to run water throughout our halls and restrooms. This was not a problem the first twelve years of the school’s existence. About ten years ago however, when the now-rusted pipes started spewing orange, opaque water, the choice for galvanized pipes was regrettable. To fix this issue the school, over a period of two summers, decided to replace the tainted pipes with longer-lasting and unrustable plumbing. “They came through and replaced as much galvanized pipe as they could, with copper, but they couldn’t get it all,” said Bartholomew. Though the water in the bottles of students and staff may sometimes carry a different hue, the dangers of drinking said water is no different than the risks of drinking tap water from the faucets in their own homes.

The concerns for the potability of the fountain water have always been a concern for the populous of Copper Hills, faculty included. Only recently has the issue been dug up again when the lights of the filters slowly faded from a pleasant and reassuring green, to a very dull and symbolically fateful red. What will happen to the current concern for the school’s drinking fountains? Will it remain, or will it slowly rust away like the sad, ever-present galvanized pipes? It has recently come to The Growl’s attention that after investigating this current dilemma with the filters, the District recently began replacing some of them. However, it is not clear which or how many filters will actually be installed; but according to Bartholomew, the school simply doesn’t have the funds for replacing all of them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Got Filters?”

1. Jerry on December 18th, 2017 8:40 pm

Wow you guys have filter with lights on them now that keeps? dude back in the 90s and early 2000s we just had plain fountains and they did not even have a filter on it at all and since the school was new it tasted like metal. they had pumps son,.

we bought aqufina bottled waters out of the machines next to the cafeteria for a $1 and we liked it…. kids today,

we also walked to class in the snow.

• Breaking News

School Lockout Scare

• Got Filters?

News

Physics Pumpkin Drop

• Got Filters?

News

Burning of the CH

• Got Filters?

#CHHSChange

New Clubs to Copper Hills

• #CHHSChange

Change Coming to Copper Hills Student Section

• Got Filters?

Breaking News

Teens Crash Stolen Vehicle, Leading to Brief Lockdown at Copper Hills

• Got Filters?

#CHHSChange

Old Face Brings Big Change

• Got Filters?

News

Rush Into Rush Week

• Got Filters?

#CHHSChange

Copper Hills Elects First-Ever Black Student Body President

• News

Transcript of Interview with Quarnberg

Got Filters?