New Swag, Less Drag

Upgrades to the Field and Weight Room should have Immediate and Long-term Benefits for Football

A new surface for our football team should have a major impact on our team.

Photo by Autumn Lucas

Photo by Autumn Lucas

Grizzly Staff

It’s pretty well known that Copper Hills isn’t famous for its football team. As much as it can be painful to say, it’s true. With that fact being known, it’s very easy for people to diss and constantly try and tear our football team’s spirit. However, because of Coach Dodds’, assistant Coach Mantle, and Mr. Quarnberg, our team has received some massive upgrades.

The first major change was the remodeling of our field and track. Copper Hills was one of the last schools in the Jordan District to turn their grass field into a turf field, which is a field with fake grass. It’s much easier to maintain and requires less maintenance than a grass field. It also allows teams to practice year round because the snow will melt much faster. The turf will also not get soggy from rain and snow, which would cause the field to get torn up become ultimately unplayable. The old field also had a number of potholes and dips that would cause injuries to many players. The new field, which is entirely flat and even, should prevent that from happening in the future. Not only did the field have a bit of construction, but the running track surrounding the field has also been upgraded. It’s no longer a vibrant blue, but a dark black.

The weight room has nearly doubled in size, allowing extra room for new equipment. More room also has meant more work gets done in less time. While this may not have a huge effect on the current team, it has the capacity to help the Grizzlies of the future to take their game to the next level.

The look of the team has also had an upgrade. The uniforms are not the same from last year, the helmets have been repainted, and instead of one spirit pack, the team received two. One for summer and one for fall. This makes an impact on the team, because let’s be honest, team swag equals team confidence. With most sports, new coaching staff means a new style of play. “New team, new look”. That’s the mentality that has been set. Confidence is at an all time high.

The new equipment also shows the team that the school and district believes in both them and their coaches enough to invest in them. “The whole culture has changed now, we actually believe we can win now. Where in the past we’ve just gone into games believing we would lose and that’s what we got,” said Varsity Captain Alex Gibson, “It helps us to be more confident, makes us look better.”

Only time will tell what effect the new facilities really have on the football team, as well as the other athletes at Copper Hills, but there is a distinct hum of excitement within the school about the additions.