Stuck in Hibernation

Photo Credit: Christina Tran

Photo Credit: Christina Tran

Autumn Lucas, Co-Editor in Chief

Sleep can sometimes run faster than the sheep can be counted. Whether it’s the violent tossing and turning or just curling up with the light from a cellphone screen illuminating the bedroom, there are many ways insomnia chooses to show itself. Teenagers are some of the most susceptible to sleep deprivation and its side effects, as they are presented with many distractions and have fully-packed schedules without much room for anything extra. 55% of Copper Hills’ students said that they get less than six hours of sleep on an average night, while the National Sleep Foundation recommends getting between 8 and 10 hours of sleep.

School work was the number one reason students at Copper Hills said they were losing sleep, with 45% percent of students identifying as the reason they didn’t get enough rest. This is the case for many kids, because students seem to have no room in their busy lives to get the recommended amount of sleep, while also meeting  the requirements of their commitments such as sports, clubs, playing music, and many others. All of this must be done in addition to school work, and then they need to get enough sleep and start it all over again.

Another factor that plays a large part in students’ ability to get to sleep, whether they realize it or not, is their electronics. Even though only 24% of Grizzlies said this was the cause of their loss of sleep, the majority of students have probably stayed up much later than they should have watching Netflix, playing video games, or doing some other mundane activity and meaningless activity. Technology has become almost an extension of a person’s being, and they are unable to handle being disconnected from it.

The most obvious effects of lack of sleep are just feeling tired and not being motivated, but those can both lead to students having trouble in school and can cause issues with every aspect of their lives. Not getting enough rest can also be harmful to your health; it can cause issues with your immune system, central nervous system, digestive system, and basically every other function in the body. Sleep is one of the most important things one can do to help the body, and it does a person a great disservice to deprive themselves of the rest needed for the body to recover and function properly.

If someone is having trouble sleeping, one of the best things they can do is have a distinct bedtime routine they stick to every night. Have a set time to start getting ready for bed, put away all distractions, and head straight to bed once everything that needs to be done is completed. If a person is having trouble falling asleep, it can be easy to start doing something else, but an effort needs to be made to just keep trying to sleep. There are many ways to try to get to sleep and to stay asleep, such as breathing exercises, taking a warm shower, reading (not on a phone or Kindle), and avoiding technology. Sleep is a very different thing for many different people, so one strategy might work for one someone, but not for another, so just keep trying. If it seems like sleep just isn’t in the cards, talk to a doctor, something will eventually work. Everyone needs sleep.