Teacher Spotlight: Coach Mantle

Zhen Duy

Coach Brady Mantle

Many people have heard his name, but have we ever thought of what he is doing behind the scenes? Coach Brady Mantle has been at Copper Hills for seven years, helping with football for three years. Mantle is currently an associate athletic director, assistant boys golf coach, and the head baseball coach. He is a social sciences teacher in the educational setting teaching US History and US Government. Brighton Spence, a student of Mantle’s history classes, says, “he’s a great guy and a great teacher, he makes school more enjoyable.”

A trope of the education world is the history teacher coach who is a coach first. Mantle tries to break down that stereotype. “Growing up, I saw the same thing, many of my coaches were history teachers,” Mantle says, “I think a lot of people have had a teacher that impacted them. I thought I was going to teach to coach, but I realized very quickly my passion first and foremost is in the classroom.” 

Coaching has had its impacts off the field for Mantle. “Coaching made me become a better teacher,” he says. His classroom is an exciting place to be and everyone of his students will say hello to him in the hall and vice versa. Interacting with student athletes, almost constantly, has also been a blessing for Mantle,  “seeing students in [both] arenas and interactions with them, helps me with being a better teacher.” 

Which transition has had a bigger impact for Mantle, teaching to coaching or coaching to teaching? Mantle really believes, “the things I bring from coaching [are] that organization meanwhile coaching is a lot of X and O’s and there’s a lot of things that are involved.” In closing Mantle said, “many coaches including myself don’t seem to realize that teaching [plays] a big factor in coaching.” 

Even though Coach Mantle is one of the busier people at Copper Hills, he’s constantly pushing himself. “I can’t say no, but make sure I can stay committed to it.” That is the type of teacher students like to see and experience. Best of luck to Mantle and his baseball program looking forward to the spring season.