Fridays: not just a day off

On August 17th, 2020, Copper Hills opened its doors to its students. Mixed in with the procedures of everyday school there was one big change. No, we’re not talking about the masks, we’re talking about students not attending school on Fridays. Students have four days of school and have Friday as a day where a student can come to school and get help on assignments or be given independent study. There is a conversation occurring within the district regarding whether or not to keep this modified schedule, but not everyone agrees that it is productive.

A recent poll taken by the Jordan School District Board of Education showed that 67% of parents were satisfied with the modified schedule. 

When Emily Lyon, a junior at Copper Hills, was asked about how her productivity has changed this year’s schedule compared to last, she said that she was not as productive this year. She said that she still likes having the Fridays, “because it is a day where if I’m going to work and school, it’s a day to get assignments done or use it as a mental health day. We all need those Fridays to take for ourselves to refresh.” 

However, not all students feel that way. Ajla Mehic said, “If I have homework then Friday is a good day to catch up on everything, but if I don’t I just put it off until Sunday.”

When Mr. Jensen, a U.S. history teacher said, “My productivity online has went up. I have used this time to get all of my classes onto canvas. I am essentially paperless. All of my tests and assignments have moved online, and I think that had I not had Fridays, I would not have been able to do that.” 

When asked about how students feel about Fridays, Lyon said, “Personally, I like Fridays because it is a day where, if I’m going to work and school, it’s a day to get assignments done or use it as a mental health day. We all need those Fridays to take for ourselves to refresh.” 

“Basically all teachers are in their first year again, and with the first year comes a need to do new plannings and new strategies. You need that day to plan for the next four days, basically learn how to be a teacher again,” Jensen said. 

“I think a lot of them have used it for their mental health. I see how much stress all of you are under and I want the students to know first and foremost that I know you’re working hard. Sometimes a day of watching Netflix is necessary.” Jensen said.