The Ins and Outs of Arena Scheduling

Time has come again for the annual hunger games of high school registration: arena scheduling. 

Arena scheduling gives students the unique opportunity to design and construct their own schedule for the upcoming school year. All classes, teachers, and periods are up to the students’ choosing and can be customized to most effectively accommodate individual needs.

Because of its first-come, first-served basis, the task may be daunting to some students new to the process. Don’t stress! Here are a few helpful tips on building and securing the best possible schedule for a great school year.

Part 1: Construction

The first major hurdle of arena scheduling is actually constructing your schedule. 

Prioritize

Make a numbered list from 1 to 8 and identify your most wanted classes from the master schedule. Desired classes can differ from person to person as some students value their electives, while others focus more on the common core curriculum.

Electives are a great way to apply your interests in a classroom setting and can be a good destressor from a difficult schedule. Just make sure to not lose track of the required classes for graduation such as math, science, social studies, and language arts. 

Try to build your less desired classes around those that you like most to guarantee a spot in those favored classes.

Check Graduation Requirements

Students will need three years of a math class, three years of science, three years of social studies, and four years of language arts from freshman to senior year to complete the requirements for graduation.

Students must also adhere to elective requirements including credits in computer science, physical education, health, fine arts, CTE, financial literacy, and U.S. government.

It will be in the student’s best interest to knock out some of these easier electives as early as possible to not have to deal with a cramped schedule senior year. Classes like financial literacy and U.S government won’t be available to students until their junior year, but CTE and art credits can start counting towards graduation as early as ninth-grade. 

For more information regarding qualifications of course credits, visit the school website and locate the detailed list under “graduation requirements.” 

Make Multiple Options

Not everyone gets the exact schedule they want; it’s just how it is. Especially for incoming sophomores who will be the last group to sign up for classes, not many spots are left by the time they get their turn.

Just like everything else in life, you have to have a plan B. While the original schedule will remain the ideal go-to plan on the day of arena scheduling, have on hand a list of alternative schedules to resort to should a class from the original plan run out of seats.

Take into consideration the classes in highest demand and try to figure out an alternative to replace them if the situation requires you to.

Class Recommendations

AP and concurrent classes will always be a good thing to incorporate into your schedule. Might as well knock out some college credits while still in high school at a quarter of the price. These classes will require a higher level of commitment, but passing the class and passing the exam will better prepare you for more difficult college classes.

For upcoming seniors, although a math credit is not required for senior year, for optimal success in higher education post-high school, math is a great thing to keep fresh in your mind. Commitment to a senior year math class will also make you a better contender for colleges and scholarships.

Part 2: Game Day

On your scheduled day, be ready at the computer by the designated time slot. Allow yourself ten to fifteen minutes before scheduling begins to log in, get situated, and prepare yourself for battle. Have your list of classes available nearby as a reference.

Once that clock hits 3:00, let the games begin. Start with classes with the fewest seats left or those in highest demand, and enter in that teacher’s name. Locate the desired period of the class and hit the add button to secure your spot. Repeat with the remaining classes on your schedule in order from most to least important.

Once all classes have been added and the eight slots on your schedule have been filled, sit back and cue the applause because you’ve just completed arena scheduling.

Click “View/Print Schedule” to review your selections and ensure that all time slots have been filled with the classes you want. 

Part 3: Post-Game 

If you weren’t able to land a spot in a class you really wanted, no worries, it’s not the end of the world. Arena scheduling will open back up over the summer for all grades to go in and add to or fix their schedule. Check back periodically to see if a spot opened up due to another student dropping, or just more seats being added. 

Most students will end up with the class they want so long as they check the site every now and then during the open period. Also be flexible about possible schedule modifications as some class periods or teachers might get switched around over the summer. 

And that’s it. Now you’re stuck with those eight periods for the next ten months. Counselors will be available to deal with class changes, but it’s not always ideal for dozens of students to crowd the counseling office that first week of school. Do your best to create a schedule that you feel you can stick with, and only come to your counselor with reasonable reasons for dropping a class. 

Visit the school registration page for links to all necessary information pertinent to arena scheduling including dates, times, graduation requirements, and other commonly asked questions.

Arena scheduling will open starting April 12 for upcoming seniors, April 14 for juniors, and April 16 for incoming sophomores. 

Set your calendars and mentally prepare yourself. 

May the odds be ever in your favor.

https://www.copperhillshigh.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1588870&type=d&pREC_ID=1715232