Surprise! There IS life after high school!

Whether it was an era of wild parties and dreamy dances or a time of tear soaked textbooks and awkward human interactions, our high school memories will remain with us long after graduation is over. Four years worth of blood, sweat, and tears, all rewarded with a scroll and a shake as parents and peers cheer in admiration at our appearance on stage. What happens when the celebration is finished? Is now the time to call it quits, crawl into the cellar and wait for the ten year reunion? 

Well the choice is really up to you at this point. Perks of being an adult: no one will stop you from making dumb decisions. If you are looking for other directions to go, though, here are some post graduate plans from some of our Copper Hills seniors.

Andrew Ferguson, a senior at Copper Hills and a four year member of the track and cross country team, plans to serve a mission right after high school. “I kind of have a duty to serve,” he said. “I think even if I wasn’t expected to, I would still probably go on the mission anyways. Most people learn a lot of skills with serving and working with people and dealing with companions… it helps them in life afterwards.”

Ferguson is also currently attending JATC for the Pharmacy Technician program. While he isn’t sure if pharmacy is something he would like to pursue in the long run, Ferguson still hopes to land a job working as a pharmacy technician to help pay for college. “That’s another reason why I’m doing pharmacy tech,” he said. “It’s a chance to try out something and see what kind of thing I like to do.”

Another senior at Copper Hills, Lilly Haines, plans to start an internship at a hospital starting next semester and hopes to secure a job there after she graduates. “I plan to go to school next fall and work at the same time. I think it’ll be beneficial to help pay for student loans as well as possibly preparing me for the stresses of real life.” 

Training as a nurse’s assistant, Haines will have the responsibility of transporting patients to and from the OR, cleaning equipment, and monitoring patients. “It doesn’t sound like the most pleasant thing, but I’m super excited, and I think it’s a great stepping stone.” 

“I’ve been deciding between either a pediatrician or an orthopedic surgeon,” said Haines. “Ever since I was little, I wasn’t a big fan of the doctor’s office, but I had this pediatrician who always made sure I was less panicky.” Haines hopes her time training at the hospital will prepare her to become a doctor that kids can find comfort and safety in. 

While we have seniors like Lilly who are fortunate enough to have already identified a career path, many seniors are still struggling with deciding what they want to pursue. 

Copper Hills art student, Rhyen Noble, sees herself in this situation. Enrolling in AP Art Studio her junior year, Noble has received many compliments on her work, and even got her charcoal drawing admitted into the Springville Museum of Art. 

While she enjoys doing art and is proud of her completed pieces from over the years, on the prospect of continuing this passion in college, Noble said, “What’s the point? Maybe for fun, but that’s just wasting money. College is to prepare yourself for a career, to get that education so you can do what you want.”

“Art takes a lot of time, and that’s a lot of stress that I don’t think I want to deal with,” she said. “I’m a perfectionist when it comes to art. I’m spending like eight hours on this one piece while I have ten other essays due at the same time. I just don’t think it would work well with my schedule.”

Instead, Noble plans to take her general education classes and hopes she figures out a major along the way. “I don’t want to be stuck in an office job,” she said. “I’d rather be a leader, but I don’t know if I have what it takes. I don’t even know where to start.”

It can be a daunting task to choose a major straight out of high school. Many shoot too high and have to pay the financial repercussions of switching majors while others wait too long to settle on a field and have to spend more years in school. Take advantage of the CTE classes offered through our high school now and gain some experience from multiple areas to test your interests. 

In preparation for medical school, Haines said, “I think I’m as prepared as I can be. I’ve taken all the medical classes our school had to offer. I think anatomy with Ms. Jenkins was probably my favorite class. I loved her teaching style. I’m more of a hands on type learner and that’s exactly how she taught.”

Sydney Schafer, Copper Hills Band President, plans to continue her music education through college. She took band her first year at Copper Hills and has been playing the oboe for six years now. “I think that taking a band class in high school has given me a purpose,” said Schafer. “I like that wherever I go, I will always have a friend because the band program is so big… My skills have improved more than I thought was possible.”

If there’s not a particular club or after-school activity that suits your interests, don’t waste your time sitting around doing nothing. Take advantage of some advanced classes offered at the high school to help you prepare for college. When asked about her thoughts on AP classes, Noble said, “I think it’s smart to do it in high school because college is so expensive. $100 for a bunch of credits if you pass the test is really good vs. $1,000 for the same thing in college. I hate AP and I hate homework, but it’ll be worth it.”

The years you spend in high school play a crucial role in shaping who you are as a person. Copper Hills counselor, Charlie Green, said, “You start to learn and develop a lot from friends you hang around with, teachers and classroom subjects, and adult role models. This kind of sets the stage for the type of person you will become in the future.

High school is important, but it isn’t the end all be all. Use your experiences and knowledge obtained through your time at Copper Hills to figure out the type of person you want to become when you leave those doors. The three years you spend here, as impactful as they are, are only a small chapter in your story. The friendships you build and the memories you make are not limited to the few years you spend within these walls.

“High school has taught me a lot, but I’m ready to move on,” said Noble. “I’m excited to see what college has in store for me, and I have the rest of my life to look forward to.” Have fun, make friends, and learn what you need to, but don’t forget that high school is just the introduction to the rest of your life, not the conclusion. There’s still people to meet and more fun to be had, so take it easy and don’t sweat the small stuff!