What to Watch during COVID-19: A Guide to Binge-Worthy TV

The soft COVID-19 quarantine is a necessary step to slow down the pandemic. Staying home can be boring and finding activities to do can be a pain. Sometimes winding down to binge on some good entertainment can take the stress away from the occurring pandemic. 

Here’s a list and a small review of a couple of movies and series on Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus, and others. 

Hulu offers many other cult classics when it comes to the animated genre, such as Naruto, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and for more mature content, Family Guy, and Rick and Morty. If you’re a student currently enrolled in concurrent courses, through Hulu’s student discount, you’re offered a discounted subscription with their platform and possibly with other streaming services such as Spotify. 

If the animated shows aren’t in your line of interest, some hidden Hulu gems are Awkward and Community. Awkward (2011-2016), follows high school student, Jenna Hamilton, who gets into an accident that has led people to believe that she tried to commit suicide. Everyone around her begins to identify her as an “at-risk student,” which is totally not the case. She starts a blog narrating her life as a way to cope with high school. This series will resonate with all due to its relatable characters and witty comedy.

Netflix offers classic cable TV shows, movies, and its original content is adequate. They offer the entire series for the following classics; The Office, Parks and Recreation, That 70’s Show, Gilmore Girls, Cheers, The Fosters, Charmed, Supernatural. Countless family-friendly movies like Click, Corpse Bride, Bee Movie, and Hairspray. 

If you’re interested in the true crime and documentary genre, Netflix has a vast variety to choose from. These two series are rated TV-MA but offer insightful perspectives. When They See Us (2019), Netflix’s original adaptation of the Central Park Jogger Case. Where five teenage boys of color get convicted of the assault and rape of Trisha Meili, but the truth gets unraveled throughout the four-part series. Tiger King, Murder, Mayhem, and Madness (2020), a Netflix original docuseries about the life of Joe Exotica, a famous private zoo owner from Oklahoma that gets investigated by the FBI. This shines a light on the unethical mistreatment of exotic animals kept in captivity and who are used for entertainment purposes. 

Disney Plus, a family-friendly platform for all things Disney is being streamed. Star Wars: A New Hope, Black Panther, Monter’s Inc, Holes, and National Geographic’s Free Solo, are few of the abundant amount of similar movies that are available. They offer a category of previously aired Disney shows: That’s So Raven, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Goodluck Charlie, Kim Possible. Disney Plus also offers a bundled subscription with Hulu and ESPN. 

If you don’t have access to a paid streaming service, Youtube and Tubi offer free content. Many entertainers post their personal content on Youtube, such as actors, comedians, chefs, gamers, and other influencers. Will Smith and Jack Black are now vloggers on Youtube. Tubi offers famous TV series such as Hell’s Kitchen and 21 Jump Street. They’re currently streaming Good Burger and Rugrats Go Wild. 

Finding ways to keep yourself entertained will be tricky, but take time to relax and enjoy some screen time.