TEMPLE SQUARE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

IS THIS BELOVED TRADITION IN DANGER?

TEMPLE SQUARE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

Beth Brewster, Web Editor

Starting after Thanksgiving, Temple Square downtown Salt Lake is transformed with sparkling sprinkles of light. Going downtown to see the lights is a treasured tradition among many students. 

“Every year my family goes up to look at the lights,” says Ethan Linder, Senior. Ashlee Adams, Senior, also enjoys going to see the lights, “I love being able to go and spend time with both family from out of town and local because we don’t get together as much as we should so it’s really fun to go and be cold together.” 

This tradition, however, will soon be affected by renovations to Temple Square, announced in April 2019, that cause many people to wonder if their tradition is in danger. Beginning December 29, 2019, the Salt Lake LDS Temple will close for roughly four years, planning to reopen in 2024 with a public open house. 

This announcement has created a lot of excitement, and possibly a little nervousness as well. There may be some uncertainty as to what is actually changing with the Temple, its grounds and if you’ll still be able to visit any part of Temple Square during the process. 

The good news is that even though these renovations will limit the options of Temple Square’s everyday use, people will still be able to see the Christmas lights during the renovation in the coming years.

President Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints explained some of the needed renovations were due to aging problems. Changes include: “Obsolete systems within the building will be replaced. Safety and seismic concerns will be addressed. Accessibility will be enhanced so that members with limited mobility can be better accommodated.”

Linder is not concerned about the possible threat to his family tradition, “We will still go every year.” Adams also explains, “It is our tradition, so even if the lights are different, the time spent with family is still worth it.”  Though the lights will obviously be limited due to the construction, you can still enjoy the magic of Christmas time at Temple Square. So go out and make sure you see the full light show and continue your traditions Grizzlies!