Hoco Tailgate

Spirit and Pride SBO, Jason Holgate, at the Homecoming tailgate Photo by Dylan Snook

Jenna Milner, News Editor

Copper Hills High School held its annual Homecoming Tailgate on Friday, September 13. Students enjoyed many unique activities offered by school clubs while preparing to cheer on the football team.

Olivia Lopez, a sophomore on the CHHS cheer team, says she believes that the tailgates help raise spirit and support for the school and the football team. Lopez was engaged in a cheer tradition to paint students’ faces in order to increase school pride. “Everyone loves doing it,” Lopez said, “but not everyone has paint at home.” 

Copper Hills’ extracurriculars provided activities and treats for the students. Administration was grilling hotdogs on the far south side of the range. The PTSA was passing out nachos and M&M’s toward the north, Cheer was painting students’ faces in green, white, and blue, Theater was passing out candy, Newspaper had a game of cornhole set up, and Choir was handing out mini bottles of bubbles. HOSA was passing out Lifesaver mints, while Dance Company was spraying students’ hair with color and NHS was passing out headbands. FCCLA used their parade float sign at their stand. The Grizzly Gamers allowed students to play Super Smash Brothers on a television at their booth. FFA was playing country music and provided a game of bobbing for apples. 

Lopez’s second favorite activity besides her own, was newspaper, “The bean bags are fun,” she said, “I really like those.”

Senior, Aubrey Palacios likes the meaning behind tailgates, “I think [the tailgate is] like a little celebration before the football game so that everyone can get prepared.” Palacios enjoyed the cheer team’s booth, “[My favorite was] face painting, it kinda tickled.” 

Two middle schools were also at the tailgate. Sunset Ridge Middle provided a game of bowling with bean bags and West Hills Middle were passing out their school themed cups. Both of these schools feed into Copper Hills. 

The tailgate began at 5:00 p.m. and ended before the Homecoming football game against Juan Diego. It was held on the school’s driving range, just south of student parking. Many students were showing off their school pride with their CHHS Grizzlies shirts. Some were wearing beaded necklaces and face paint, while others wore decorated bandanas from NHS’s booth.

Each booth provided a unique activity for students to enjoy. 

All in all, Copper Hills High School’s Homecoming Tailgate helps unify the school and builds spirit and pride. “It’s a great thing for the beginning of the year because it brings all the clubs and activities together in one place, and helps anyone at Copper Hills to be able to go around and meet so many new people,” Cooper Landel, Student Body President, said. Providing students with a way to learn about the clubs and activities offered at the school helps unify and create an understanding between the students.