Copper Hills Sends Four Sterling Scholars to Finals

Bailey Van Wagoner, Business Manager, Managing Editor, Web Editor

There are few honors at Copper Hills as prestigious as the title of Sterling Scholar. Students who apply for this honor work through their entire high school career in scholarship, citizenship, and category activities for a particular subject. Each year, it is up to the staff to choose 14 of these exemplary students to represent the school in the Wasatch Front region competition. Out of 1,500 Sterling Scholars in the region, 168 made it to the final round. This year, four of those finalists came from Copper Hills High School.

After creating a portfolio and passing two rounds of interviews, Daud Mumin (Social Science), Adi Marshall (English), Nathan Sill (Mathematics), and Bailey Van Wagoner (Business and Marketing) became region finalists. They each competed for one last time at Cottonwood High School against 11 other students in their category on February 28. For two weeks, these four students waited anxiously for judges to score every participant to determine the winners of the 14 categories.

Finally, the day of the awards ceremony came on March 15. All 168 finalists filed into the Little Theater of the LDS Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City. They went through a quick rehearsal ceremony to streamline the awards and prevent any mistakes. The Sterling Scholars practiced lining up onstage, stepping forward to wave when their name is called, and returning to their assigned seats. The run-through was quick and left the Scholars with plenty of time to change into nice clothes and unwind a bit before awards. With every passing moment, the anticipation grew. The audience arrived and got settled as the finalists took their seats onstage. Promptly at 7 p.m. the awards began and the curtain lifted to reveal the 168 finalists of the Wasatch Region.

Deanie Wimmer and Mark Eubank from the KSL News team recognized each Sterling Scholar by name as they came to center stage. They also announced the runners-up and winner of each category as well as the recipients of a few scholarships provided through the Sterling Scholar program. Of Copper Hills’ Scholars, Bailey Van Wagoner won as the runner-up in Business and Marketing and received a $1,000 scholarship in addition to her title.

Copper Hills performed amazingly this year and couldn’t be prouder of their 14 Sterling Scholars.