Academic Decathlon Brings Home 13 Medals

Jessica McMann, News Editor

The Copper Hills Academic Decathlon team (CHAD) traversed to Saint George to compete in the state-wide competition on March 7th through the 9th. This year’s competition theme was the 60’s, so the team spent the summer and much of the year learning and practicing material, and their hard work definitely paid off.

Academic Decathlon competition consists of seven tests: social science, economics, math, science, literature, art, and music. There is also an essay, speech, and interview section. Each of the competitors’ scores adds up with the team’s scores as a whole to determine the school’s placing. The students can also receive medals in each individual category, which is further broken into school size and grade point average.

Copper Hills fits into the larger school category. That further subdivides into Varsity, ie students with a 2.9 GPA or lower, Scholastic, students with a GPA of 3.0 to 3.749, and Honors, students with a 3.75 or above. The Copper Hills competing team of seven had one Varsity member, three Scholastic, and three Honors.

Copper Hills left the competition with 13 medals.

• Grace Bramlage, competing in Honors, won the Team Top Scholar, Bronze in Literature, Bronze in Science, Bronze in Art, and Bronze in Social Science.
  • Alex Hess, also Honors, was awarded Gold in Interview.
  • In the Scholastic category, Annalyn George won Silver in Interview.
  • Nathaniel Nox won Gold in Speech.
  • The only Varsity competitor, Nydia Lopez-Goins, won Bronze in Literature, Silver in Essay, Gold in Speech, and Silver in interview.

The team together competed wonderfully and made the Copper Hills Grizzlies proud. The school didn’t place, competing against long running winners such as Bingham High School and Da Vinci Academy, but they still did great regardless. Be sure to give a congratulations to any members you saw on the list.