Wrestling Isn’t Just for Men

Wrestling Isn’t Just for Men

Girls from around the state gather for a state tournament and our own Alyssa Pace took first in 106.

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

Throughout the course of history many people have wrestled either for fun or dominance. From WWE to high school wrestling, many girls have began to join despite having to wrestle boys.

One thing that may be coming in the 2019-2020 season is an all girls wrestling team for each high school.

Parents throughout the state have a number of concerns about their daughters having to wrestle against boys, so the state is considering giving each gender an equal chance to delve into this sport.

The amount of females on high school wrestling team rosters nearly doubled from the 2010-11 season (about 7,000) to close to 14,000 in 2016-17 in the state of Utah, and the numbers continue to rise. So much so, that many girls they believe they can create a new section of the sport.

Not all female wrestlers are in favor of the idea. Alyssa Pace, Varsity/JV wrestler said, “For someone like me who likes wrestling the boys, I would not have that option any more. I would not get the competition of wrestling against the boys and would only be allowed to wrestle girls. Most girls in the state of Utah are very new to the sport, which makes [it] a lot easier to wrestle them.”  

Some girls who play other sports for the school are happy to see this happen, Chelsea Rasmussen, lacrosse player and wrestling manager, said, “I’ve always been interested in wrestling because my dad was a state champion. This would be a great opportunity.”

Softball, lacrosse, basketball, and a couple other sports are all during the winter and spring season, so many people believe the perfect time for girls wrestling would be in the fall. It would be a great way to get everyone in the spirit of wrestling before the boys’ season starts. The only downside to it being in the fall would be that girls’ soccer, tennis, cheer, etc.  wouldn’t be able to join because of the overlapping seasons. The administration and coaches around the state are thinking that it would most likely happen in the fall, but nothing is set in stone.

Trying to work out the bumps along the way, and hoping that this project can become a reality, the state trying to give everyone the opportunity to try something new.