Lockouts and Snow Days and Fires! Oh My!

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

Copper Hills has had a crazy few months with a lockout, snow day, and now a fire. On February 12, 2019, Copper Hills had a fire, but most thought it was a drill.  Everyone casually walked out of the building to get to safety as the fire department began to show up. Students were brought outside for about 20 minutes then moved into the auditorium while the department began to clear the school.   

The fire began in a trash can in the upstairs boys bathroom across the hall from Mrs. Boren’s (ASL teacher) room. She said, “I didn’t know it was happening until I heard the alarm, opened the door, and saw all the smoke.” Once Mr. Dipko and Mr. Johnson noticed this, they worked as a team to put out the fire.

The fire department arrived at the school within minutes and began to investigate the source of the fire. By law, they must evacuate the school and investigate until they feel it is safe to go back to school.  With the fire already being out, the fire department had to evaluate the building and clear everything to make sure it was safe again. As the fire department was clearing the school, they checked every garbage can and began to air out the school. The students were put into the auditorium and gym to make sure they were out of harm’s way, so the department could do their job.

Throughout the years of Copper Hills there have been a couple of fires, but none as big as this. While no one knows who started the fire, kids have been questioned. Many believe it was a student who purposely lit the fire, but the fire department’s investigation is still underway.