The Miracle Worker

The Miracle Worker

Morgan Madsen (left) supporting Karlie Parrish (right)

Nichol Adair

Nichol Adair

Nichol Adair

Rachael Schafer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

This year the Copper Hills Theater productions put on the show, “The Miracle Worker”, starting on February 28th and going to the 4th of March. The Miracle Worker is the story of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan, and the journey they take together. What makes Keller’s story so extraordinary was the fact that she went throughout most of her life deaf and blind. Together Keller and Sullivan changed the course of history, as Helen Keller proved that anything was possible.

Mrs. Peterson, theater and film studies teacher, decided this year, that the play, “The Miracle Worker,” needed to be shown on stage. She said she chose this story because of her personal ties to the story and the message behind the play. She also mentioned how important the relationship between a teacher and a student is, such as the relationship between Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan. As students, we can all learn from their special relationship. Peterson also said, “I also think that being high school students where our students at CH are on the precipice of graduating and becoming grown ups and  seeking their new career-I think it would be impactful for some of them [students] to think about and analyze the relationship between a teacher and student.”

The Miracle Worker is a story of love vs. teaching, and pity vs. discipline. Annie Sullivan met the young Keller when she was six years old. At the time Sullivan was only 20 herself. Together they were two broken souls. Helen was trapped within the confines of her mind, and Annie was haunted by her past. Together they healed each other. When Annie first arrived at the Keller home everyone was uncertain of her capabilities as a teacher because of her age and her inexperience. However, she chose to believe in Helen regardless of what anyone else said. She began her journey by teacher Helen obedience, and then introducing language by way of signing into her hand.

Enfany Ngo, a Senior, played the role of Annie Sullivan in her first ever production. She said that she had always had the desire to be in a school play, and to show her true self. Previous to this play, there were a few individuals who had called her shy. And in doing this play she was able to show that she was not, in fact, shy. When she got the lead role, however, she knew that this play meant more to her. She said, “This means something, so I have to put time and effort into this.” In the play she was able to prove that actions in fact speak louder than words. She said, “Through this whole process and being able to play this character, I have more insight into what it really is to impact people and invest in their lives and to put meaning into them.” Every life matters, and Ngo was able to capture that meaning through her role in the play, “The Miracle Worker”.

Karlie Parrish, a Junior, played the role of Helen, and she said, “Sometimes it takes one person to believe in you.” Annie was able to teach Helen language, and through language Helen was able to break the bonds that had once held her captive. Parrish described Helen’s desire for language as what “she wants the most”.

Annie insisted that, “obedience is the gateway to knowledge”, however it is only the gateway, where as language was the key to it all. At the end of the play Helen was able to understand language. She came to the understanding that everything that was signed into her hand meant something, that everything has a name. Before that point, she believed that everything signed into her hand was just a game. That understanding and realization, is something that we can all relate to. And as Parrish said, “it means that nothing is impossible.” The story of Helen Keller should be more than just a story, rather it should be something that we all take to heart.