Falling Short at Tryouts

Falling Short at Tryouts

Not making the team could hurt an athlete's confidence in his or her ability.

Shane Carpenter

Shane Carpenter

Shane Carpenter

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

It took a lot of pain, sweat, and tears to to be where she is. Year after year, her dance skills have gone to the next level, only falling short when it came to tryouts.

Aspen Kesler is a sophomore who tried out for drill but ended up short, just like many others in different sports.

Copper Hills drill team is a six-time state championship team and are very determined. When tryouts come around, many girls come from around the community to try to become a famous Azurette. With tryouts lasting multiple days, it can be very nerve-racking when the final day comes around. Kesler was one of the few to make it to the final day. With butterflies still in her stomach, she found out she had fallen just short.

Kesler has been dancing since she was 3 years old. Learning various styles from hip hop to tap had helped her become who she is today. “Dance is kinda like my outlet, I don’t have to think about school, friends, family, drama or anything, and competing is stressful but I honestly love it so much,” said Kesler. Competing in dance for the past nine years, she knows the heartache of not being the best, even when she puts everything out on the line.

Not making a team can make someone feel depressed and that they aren’t good enough. Kesler said, “I was hurt more than anything and I doubted myself for a while after.” She is still debating on if she wants to go through the heartache of trying out again, knowing that in the end it may not work out as well as she hopes.

Kodie Whittle, sophomore, tried out for softball, but ended up falling short. She started playing at the age of ten and went on to play recreational, all-stars, and acceleration softball. “I was very disappointed in myself for not making the team, but it also opened my eyes to an opportunity to learn and get better. I am still, to this day, sad, but I understand why,” said Whittle.

Putting your heart and talent out on the line then getting told you’re not good enough can take a toll on someone’s emotions. It is proving the point that failure is a key to success and pushing past the bad parts in life that allows people to come back stronger than before.

What may help many people make the team of their dreams is talking to the coach. Ask questions like, “What can I improve on to make the team this year?” or “What exactly are you looking for?”  Figuring out what the coach is looking for can help the athletes train to get where they need to be for tryouts the upcoming year.