Drill Sweeps Region

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

The five teams from around region 3 all met at Herriman high.  Put their heart and soul into the dances while everyone watched and critiqued their every move. After many hours of dancing the girls sit around as they hope they won. After announcing the fifth to second place, the announcer says, “and in first place…Copper Hills!”

Every year all the drill teams from region 3 go to a school and perform three types of dances, kick/character, military, and dance. This year it was held at Herriman High School on January 25, 2019. The schools that performed were West Jordan, Taylorsville, Riverton, Herriman, and Copper Hills. Herriman came in second in every dance and Copper Hills took a sweep (getting first in all dances).

Many of the girls have danced for years and they all have put in countless hours of work to get to call themselves state champions. With getting a sweep the adrenaline rush can be one of the best feelings. Ashley Nope, a Senior on the drill team, said, “It’s unexplainable, it’s such a rewarding feeling. You go out there and pour everything you have onto that floor… Seeing our coaches out there cheering us on makes it all worth the work. There’s nothing quite like the feeling when you sweep.”

Getting prepared for region isn’t an easy road, but a rewarding one. With early morning practices to performing at basketball games, the girls try to make sure to get the dances down without skipping a beat. Blood, sweat, and tears have gone into getting the region win and hopefully a 7th state win.   

With state starting on January 29th, the girls are looking towards the future and are hoping to call themselves seven-time state champions.