School Called Off for the First Snow Day in Two Decades

Daniella Rivera, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Many phone calls, and emails were sent to families of students across Utah that we would be having a snow day for the first time in a little over twenty years.    

On February 6th, students woke up to the sounds of their alarms, only to have their parents walk into their room and tell them that the day would be a snow day.  A snow day is unheard of in Utah across the board, and was unexpected to have one as late as February.

The idea of not having to go to school seemed like such a win for students who dread their B days, but also brings an inconvenience to them later.  

The Jordan School District requires there be 180 days of school, and because of one loss of an academic day, this means that the students would have to come back and learn their material on a day they were suppose to have off.  Usually snow days are made up on either President’s day or a day during Spring Break.

Snow was falling all night of February 5th to the 6th, and was blowing at high winds where many students claimed that the winds had woke them up multiple times that night.  When looking out the window, a foot of snow covered cars and lawns, and the snow was still falling all of February 6th.

The snow day seemed to have been a wish come true, but was dangerous for those who had to go to work that day.  Many people had trouble getting out of their own driveway and then would find themselves slipping across the roads.  A regular twenty-five minute drive, would take an hour with the snow that covered the roads. According to Deseret News, “Since the major winter storm reached the Wasatch Front Tuesday, at least 420 crashes have been investigated by Utah Highway Patrol. Of those, 272 occurred Wednesday.”

The Jordan School District had taken the most reasonable precautions to the snowstorm on February 6th, and thus called in for the first snow day in two decades.