Spare 15 Minutes to Save 3 Lives

Spare 15 Minutes to Save 3 Lives

Hannah Whiting, Staff Writer

This holiday season ARUP Blood Services partnered with Copper Hills High School for a local blood drive on December 19, 2018.  ARUP is the sole blood provider for Primary Children’s Hospital, Huntsman Cancer Institute, Shriners Hospital for Children, South Jordan Health Center, and University of Utah hospitals & clinics.

As it states on the ARUP website, “ARUP Blood Services need approximately 100 people to donate whole blood every day to keep up with the needs of the hospitals they serve.” Meeting this demand is a challenge during weekends, holidays and the busy summer months.  People are always in need of more blood to save lives. According to a ARUP blood technician, “We love to come to Copper Hills because there are so many great kids that are so willing to donate.”

One blood donation can save up to three lives. To be eligible to donate is very simple. You must be 16 to donate and meet the weight/height requirement. 110 pounds. The importance of donating is huge and always needed. Some of the patients who typically require transfusions are Cancer patients, Leukemia patients, Burn patients, premature babies, etc.

Visit utahblood.org to see local donor centers near you. Look out for the next blood drive at Copper Hills. You can save lives.