Volleyball Recap

Volleyball Recap

Dylan Snook

Dylan Snook

Dylan Snook

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

In the 2018 season, the girl’s volleyball team made it to the semi-finals, and took 3rd at state right behind Pleasant Grove (2nd) and Lone Peak (1st). Their final game was against Bingham High School, with a victory of 15-9. One of their star players,Teniyah Leuluai, Sophomore, was selected as The Copper Hills Volleyball Player of the Match, against Bingham. She had 22 assists and 20 digs. A dig is when a player anticipates and prevents the ball from hitting the floor after a spike. This season, girl’s volleyball took region with an 8-0 record, and overall had a 26-5 record for the 2018 season.

Trying to make it to the top can be difficult, but if you have people there to help it’s a lot easier. One person who helped the team was their Captain, Payton Birch, Senior. “We had to work so hard in the gym every day at practice. We stayed focused on our goals that we wanted to accomplish. We just focused on one game at a time and made sure to improve on the things we could control,” said Birch. She was seen as a leader to the team, and someone to look up to. She would plan practices, get things ready for game day, set an example on the court. Another person who has helped them grow was their manager, Emily Price, Junior. She would help by getting water, getting things ready for games, and much more. “It was so exciting. It was the greatest thing to see the girls come so far in state. We were all so proud of each other even though we took 3rd. We weren’t disappointed that we lost to Lone Peak in the semi-finals, but coming back and beating our rival was so amazing. I am so proud of all of the girls,” said Price.

Girl’s volleyball is a growing program with young talent, and a bright future ahead. After this season they have a lot to live up to, but are ready to face the hard road that lies ahead.