Does Your Phone Impact Your Grades?

Does Your Phone Impact Your Grades?

Alan Pasalagua, Staff Writer

In today’s world, cellphones are a huge part of kids’ lives, they are used almost everywhere, especially during class. Most students watch Youtube, text friends, or check their social media, instead of paying attention. Class distractions don’t usually help out with grades either.

Sophomore student, Joe Tuta admits he does use his phone a lot, but he also agrees that technology affected his grades. He decided to do something about it. Not too long ago, the LDS church did a “Ten-day Fast from Social Media,” where people could opt to take a break from any type of social media for ten days. Tuta participated in the fast and his grades changed dramatically. He said, “When I participated in the fast, I went from F’s to A’s, I learned things I probably wouldn’t have if I had my phone.”

Tuta isn’t the only one who uses his too much. Iphones had a recent update that allowed people to see the amount of time they spent on their phones. Eleven students were asked to check their screen time trackers at approximately 1:30 p.m. on a Tuesday afternoon. Six of the eleven students had used their phones for somewhere close to two hours. To some people, two hours doesn’t seem like a lot of time. But that’s two hours that was between or in classes. Sophomore Connor Chytraus also agrees that phones impact grades but also says it depends on if the teacher keeps you involved or not. He says, “I usually use my phone in my World History class because it’s boring and I have a C, but in my other classes I have an A or B because my teachers do activities.”

Based on this data, people would most likely think or assume technology hurts your grades but maybe that’s not 100% true. Two other students said that their phones actually help with school. Sophomore Grace Jolley says, “If I need to learn something like a word or to translate something from Spanish, I can go on Google and save myself like five minutes.” A common thing teachers do when a student needs to figure something out is to tell them to grab a book, like the dictionary or an encyclopedia. These books give good answers but it takes time to find them. A phone could find the answers much faster.

But that’s not the only thing a phone can help students with. Most phones have a reminder app which is used to remind someone of their work, chores, dates, etc. Sophomore Riley Hernendez says, “I’m failing two classes. When I had my phone, I would set reminders for assignments but without it, it’s been hard to remember things.”

There are students that use their phone’s resources to help with their grades and there are students that use their phones only to go on social media, play games, or to help with their “social life.” Phone use at school should be limited, with a preference towards computer and book-based education. Whether students believe their phones hurt or help their grades, it all depends on how they use them.