Wish of a Lifetime

Wish of a Lifetime

Hannah Whiting, Staff Writer

Make-A-Wish works to make a child’s last moments their best moments. They have been giving children the opportunity to live their dream for nearly 39 years. The purpose of Make-A-Wish is to fulfill  a “wish” for a child with a life-threatening medical condition.  According to the Make-A-Wish America Website,“Majority wish requests fall into five categories: I wish to go, I wish to be, I wish to meet, I wish to have, or I wish to give.”

Children ages 3-17, at the time of the referral, are potentially candidates for receiving the opportunity to grant their wish. At this point, the child’s primary physician determines the eligibility by medical criteria. The Make-A-Wish America website also states, “Make-A-Wish works closely with the wish child’s physician and family to determine the most appropriate time to grant the wish, keeping in mind the child’s condition, treatment or other concerns.”

Wishes can range from major tear jerkers to jaw dropping. Children can let their imagination wake up. Children can wish to go to Disney World, wish to be a pilot for a day, wish to have a puppy, or a wish to simply give. A lot of children choose “I wish to meet.” The person could be their favorite actor, singer, or just someone they are inspired by. This year,  Copper Hills student Gov. is raising five thousand dollars for six year old, Tristan. Student Gov President, Elvis Amin says, “We are raising money to help our make-a-wish kid and we’re sending him and his family to Disney World.”

For many, the wish marks a turning point in the fight against their illnesses. It gives children hope for a brighter day. For our own CHHS alumni Israel Granillo, it was a light at the end of the tunnel. “It affected my life because I know anything in life is possible.” After being diagnosed with Friedreich’s ataxia, a neuromuscular disease, Make A Wish granted Israel 3 wishes. Granillo’s big wish was to meet his favorite soccer player, Cristiano Ronaldo. On January 25th, his wish was granted. Granillo was stunned by the experience saying, “I never expected myself to go meet my favorite soccer player.” As a part of his wish, he also got to take his family on a trip. “I also got to visit Spain, but the most special part of this experience was that they paid for my family as well, so I got to experience it with them.”

Make a wish has been making experiences like these possible because of charitable donations all over the United States. Last year, they granted 185 wishes to Utah children. So what can we do as Grizzly Nation? Odd jobs, donate to Paws for a cause, come to spirit nights, movie theater buyout, students can get involved by contacting anyone on student government. Get involved in the season of giving. Let’s keep donating and making wishes attainable for the ones who deserve it the most. Donate here: http://utah.wish.org/