Saying Goodbye: Marquez’s Last Video Game Club Social

Bailey Van Wagoner

Officers (past and present) embrace Mr. Marquez for the last time.

Bailey Van Wagoner, Business Manager, Managing Editor, Web Editor

On December 14th, Video Game Club had a social very unlike any before it. Not only was it their holiday social, but it was also a preview of the new Super Smash Bros. game and Mr. Marquez’s last day with the club.

With 132 paid members, Video Game Club is the largest Copper Hills club and it holds a special place in the hearts of many more. Every social brings dozens of students together in a safe place where they can feel a part of something bigger. This atmosphere was clear at this holiday social. Dozens of monitors shone brightly as students grouped together to laugh, play, and enjoy hot chocolate and “medpacks” sold from a table at the back of the tech atrium. The main attraction though, were the large TVs where Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was available to play. With 74 playable characters and the best graphics yet of the Smash Bros. installments, this game has received a lot of attention since its release at the beginning of this month. Video Game Club decided to use this to their advantage and hosted a tournament during the social. But even the tournament could wait for one special announcement.

Natalie Smiley, Vice President of Video Game Club, gathered all the officers (past and present) and Marquez to join her at the front of the room. She proceeded to announce that the club had a few parting gifts to share with their advisor before he left to work at the Utah State Board of Education. She and the other officers presented a personalized Xbox controller which read “Always a Grizzly,” a photo album, and a football signed by everyone at the social. Marquez, officers, and members alike shed tears as the advisor spoke to his club for the last time. He left Video Game Club with a message of hope. Even though he is leaving, he will be “passing the torch on to someone who has a passion for video games.” Mr. Redford will be Video Game Club’s advisor next year. Marquez hopes that through his work at the Utah State Board of Education, he will further the u=Utah program of high school eSports that Copper Hills began. The future is bright for Grizzly Gamers as they light up their consoles and change each other’s’ lives for the better.