Why Some Sports Get Sidelined

Why Some Sports Get Sidelined

A number of sports are overlooked at Copper Hills for having actual competing teams. Boys' volleyball is one.

KeithJJ

KeithJJ

KeithJJ

Sam McMullin, Staff Writer

Boys volleyball gets pushed to the back and is rarely discussed. We’ve all heard of “the volleyball team” and hear of the success our girls are having, but are you aware of the men’s volleyball club?  It, along with many others is a club sport. We have a handful of club sports at Copper Hills including; bowling, curling, hockey, lacrosse, mountain biking, rugby, ultimate frisbee, and water polo.

To be recognized as a sport, the club must become sanctioned. If a club is wanting to be sanctioned they to need to give a proposal to UHSAA and receive approval.

Some of our club sports receive a lot more attention than others because of their successes. Hockey is one example. The Hockey team had an undefeated season last year which led them to the state championship against Bingham. There they won 9-6, becoming state champions and continuing there perfect record.

Gavin Hiller, Senior at Copper Hills, explains, “There are just more luxuries with being a sport instead of a club. As a club, we don’t get funds. We can’t have practices at the school because the other sports occupy the gym. We don’t get funds so we have to pay for facilities to practice in. Our coach doesn’t get paid. We have to get our own jerseys and other equipment. It’s just a club because the amount of girls and guys sports have to be even, so if they added boys volleyball as a sport it would be uneven.”

This is the High School rule, on UHSAA’s website they state that male and female sports must be even. They have the list of sports, which is even. There are ten boys sports and ten girls sports. If you go onto the Copper Hills website, under athletics, it has a list of the different sports. From that list there are seven sports labeled as ‘girls teams’ and only five labeled as ‘boys teams.’ This is either a flaw in how these sports are written on the website or we aren’t following the UHSAA rule. There are five co-ed teams, meaning that girls and boys are together. These include; cross country, track & field, wrestling, swimming, cheer, and hockey. Some of the co-ed teams, like wrestling and hockey contain a majority of male athletes, but are open to female participation.

With the rise of club popularity we could see the UHSAA sanction more sports in the near future.

If you’re interested in playing boy’s volleyball you can contact Earle Fenstermaker, coach, at (801)232-3223