Winter Sports

Winter Sports

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

When winter comes around it doesn’t just bring Christmas and hot chocolate, it brings many sports and their excited athletes. Girls and boys basketball, swim, wrestling, drill, indoor track, and many more are just around the corner.

Wrestling is an intense, but exciting sport. Our wrestling team has won Region four years in a row, and had 13 state qualifiers last year. They have been training since school started and are ready to take region for the 5th year in a row. Ryan Bullough, Varsity Sophomore stated, “It will be tough at first, but once we get going we’ll see results. We’ve lost twenty or so seniors this year which gives room for a lot of new weight classes to be filled. The team and coaches will be changing things up to make lasting success.”  Wrestling’s first match is Blue and Green here at Copper hills on November 15th.

Boys basketball is coming up quick this November. The Copper Hills boys basketball team tied for the region championship with Riverton last year, and went to the semi finals in state. This season, Herriman and Riverton are going to be their biggest competitor for region. The guys are predicting a good outcome, and hopefully a region title. Tevon Allfrey, Varsity Senior said, “I think our season is going to go pretty well. We have four guys returning with varsity experience. We are very close with each other which makes it more fun. If we do everything we need to do, I believe we can have a very successful season.” The boys are keeping an open mind and are ready for the challenges that they are going to face. Their first game is on November 27th at Corner Canyon at 7.

Tryouts are open to anyone and begin the first week of November.

Varsity/ JV November 5th-7th

Monday: 2:45-5pm

Tuesday: 4-6:30pm

Wednesday: 2:45-6:30 (Bring printed out grades)

Sophomore November 5th-8th

Monday, Nov. 6:  5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Tuesday:  4:00 – 6:30 pm

Wednesday:  5:30 – 7:45 pm (Bring printed out grades)

Thursday:  4:00 – 6:30 pm

Friday:  5:45 – 7:45 pm (1st Practice)

Freshman November 8th-9th

Thursday: 7:00 – 9:00 pm (Bring printed out grades)

Friday:  8:00 – 9:30 pm

Girls basketball is about to jump into full gear in just a few weeks. Our girls basketball team are three-time region champs and are ready to fight their way to a fourth. Cynthia Banza, Junior player said, “I think this season will go really well. It’s going to be tough, but I know that the girls will be able to pull through. We work very hard and I think that we will be able to prove our hard work. We have lost seniors, but I think we can stand strong.” Tryouts to be a lady grizzly are on November 5th in the gym.

Last year our swimming team had 16 state qualifiers (mostly relay), and are hoping for more this year. They go through dry land training which is were they run, lift weights, and work on building up muscles before they enter the pool. Lyndi Greenhalgh, Junior Swimmer said, “Dry land is awesome, I love not having to jump in a freezing pool in the morning. We’re constantly strengthening muscles that we use during swimming, so it’s very beneficial.” The swimmers are ready to dip their feet in and build a victorious season, one stroke at a time.

This winter is going to be one for the books with, hopefully, some region/state champions.