Have You Made the Switch?

Have You Made the Switch?

Hannah Whiting, Staff Writer

Consumers are ditching traditional cable TV for streaming services, and the takeover that streaming promised is finally here.

The CNBC All-American Economic Survey found in a poll of 801 Americans that 57% of the public had some sort of streaming service, while 43% didn’t use a streaming service. This year, the number of cord-cutters in the U.S who have cancelled cable TV climbed to 32.8%, thats 33 million adults according to new estimates from research firm eMarketer. As the world of cable slowly fades away, viewers are accessing streaming services by storm. Indeed, Netflix takes reign over the streaming world, with an average of 147.5 million people in the U.S. watching at least once per month, according to eMarketer’s July 2018 estimates. Amazon Prime Video is second with 88.7 million viewers, Hulu  with 55 million, HBO now has 17.1 million and Dish’s Sling TV has 6.8 million.

Recently, there has been a lot of attention directed towards YouTube. Why? For one example, enter Shane Dawson. Initially, Dawson produced sketches and videos on popular culture in which he played a variety of characters. As time went on, videos were uploaded and his channel remained steadily growing.

Recently Shane has started a docu-series diving into controversial people’s lives and learning about them in depth. The documentary series is filmed, edited, and published solely by Shane and his partner, Andrew Siwicki. All the videos in the documentary series are 45-105 minutes worth of footage, that is extremely long for a YouTube video, but this content has your eyes glued to the screen the whole time.

Dawson has previously worked with creators, Jeffree Star, Tana Mongea, and Jake Paul to give an insight into their lives following their own personal controversies. Just those three documentaries have a cumulative of 267 million views. One of the first videos he dropped in the series, “The secret world of Jeffree Star,” got twenty six million views. People are watching these documentaries like they’re their favorite TV shows. Unlike cable or streaming services, they’re accessible to anyone. Dawson delves deep into the lives of controversial YouTubers/entertainers, he investigates why they do the things they do, and he explores their minds. The series has gotten a great amount of feedback and everyone is talking about it. “I look forward to every video Shane puts out, I wait for it like it’s my favorite thing to watch on TV,” a student said. This is huge for Dawson and could possibly be something huge for the future of entertainment platforms, whether that be cable TV or streaming.

So what’s next? With the rise of streaming popularity, the future of cable is a mystery. The latest numbers so dramatically underperformed, expectations suggests the drop off is continuing to accelerate. Society can be sure to expect more new, innovative, diverse, and intriguing productions created by talented people, and from that students can gain a deal of inspiration. With this different perspective of streaming vs.cable, will you cut the cord?