Seasonal Blues

Seasonal Blues

Photo of Jasmine Cates

Photo of Jasmine Cates

Aireonna Fox

Photo of Jasmine Cates

Aireonna Fox

Aireonna Fox

Photo of Jasmine Cates

Mindy Braga, Opinion and Lifestyle Editor, Social Media Manager

As the weather gets cooler, and the days get shorter, mental health issues surge. Most people have heard of seasonal depression, and according to American Family Physician studies, each year there are more than 3 million people officially diagnosed. Even though it is very common, not many people truly understand how it works. Those who suffer through it do not know how to cope, and go through seasonal depression. Most people slap a fake smile on their face along with a hoodie and go out to face the world each day during the season.

A seventeen-year-old girl in the Salt Lake Valley who wishes to remain anonymous says, “I am highly affected by my surroundings when the weather changes.” Triggers setting off seasonal depression have a wide range. “Life seems to become so mute and gloomy,” she says. This doesn’t just happen to teenagers, for lots of people, it continues into adulthood. Lauren Masche, who is a 21-year-old college student, and West Jordan resident, goes to her classes, her work, and lives her everyday life with depression.“I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember, but as the season changes, the depression seems to push me down harder.” Masche says, “Personally for me, I feel like because the sun is not out as much during the winter and the fall, as it is in summer and spring, I don’t get the Vitamin [D] that I usually do.”

During the season, people have different strategies for helping them cope. “I notice what helps my seasonal depression is drinking teas, taking baths with bath bombs, oils and vitamins,” Masche says, ”It helps me relax and escape the world for a little bit.” One male student from Copper Hills who wishes to remain anonymous, loves to get active to help through hard times, “I rock climb, and let my mind relax by meditation.” During this season, people may feel helpless. They may feel like nothing will get them motivated with the seasonal depression pushing on their backs harder and harder. But, believe it or not, you can beat seasonal depression. “Doing these small things have actually helped me fight through the season,” says Masche. Small things like making your bed each day, or getting your favorite drink before school or work can really change your outlook on the day. Putting a small effort into each day to make yourself happy or to smile can help you cope through the season.

Here are a few personal tips from students and adults on how to get through the season;

-When indoors, surround yourself with light.

– Plan your day ahead.

It is very common for depression to get so bad, you can lose motivation to do simple things, like eat, or take a shower. Writing down your day ahead of time can help you accomplish that.

-Find new music, or read a new book. These small things can distract your mind for a few minutes. A few minutes of your mind distracted is a few minutes of you coping.

Of course, these are just a few ideas to help. There are always resources inside and outside of Copper Hills to help. The counselors here at Copper Hills are always here to help, and are ready to listen and to help whenever you may need it.  Talk to your doctor or a guardian about getting you some outside-of-school counseling if you need it. You can get through this season, seasonal depression may be hard to get through, but it is not impossible.