Sterling Scholar, the Development of Our Future Leaders

Rachael Schafer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Applying for colleges and scholarships can be taxing, but the Sterling Scholar program can eliminate some of that stress. The goal of the Sterling Scholar program is to highlight student success. These students are the best of the best and according to the sterling scholar website they are “recognized and awarded for the pursuit of excellence in scholarship, leadership, and citizenship in the state of Utah.”

Within the Sterling Scholar program are 14 different categories. They are Business and Marketing, Computer Technology, Dance, English, Family and Consumer Sciences, Instrumental Music, Mathematics, Science, Skilled and Technical Sciences and Education, Social Science, Speech/Theater Arts/Forensics, Visual Arts, Vocal Performances, and World Languages. When applying for these categories, the selection process needs to be taken into account. There are different areas that the board of sterling scholars evaluate and assess to determine eligibility. These areas are Scholarship, Overall Scholarship, Category Scholarship, Leadership, and Citizenship. Together, they build up to a total score.

The areas covered include general success at school, which includes GPA and total ACT score. Mr. Kyle Jensen, Sterling Scholar advisor, advised having a 3.8 GPA or higher. The scoring process also takes into account involvement with each area. The leadership area of Sterling Scholar takes leadership experiences into account, inside and outside the school. Citizenship evaluates how much service each student has done and is planning to do within the school and community. This assessment of skills shows who a student is as a community member and includes how well-rounded he/she is.

The Sterling Scholar program is elite, and only those who dedicate their heart and souls to their education at Copper Hills have a fighting chance to follow the path of Sterling Scholar. And, becoming a Sterling Scholar is a high honor, even on the school level. “We do have one of the best Sterling Scholar programs here,” says Jensen, and it has certainly shown. Within the past three years, Copper Hills has had 41 of the 42 school level Sterling Scholar winners move to region level. Twelve of these students moved onto state level and four won at State in their division.

Getting into the Sterling Scholar program is a huge accomplishment, which requires an extensive amount of work. While it does help students stand out for scholarships, that is not the main goal of the program. Jensen says that the program invests in future leaders, and the 14 students have the opportunity to, “represent our school in the best of what we are.” This year’s applicants will find out the 14 school winners on November 6th.

At first glance, the Sterling Scholar program may seem simple, but that is not the case. While this selection process may be a short one, Sterling Scholars work for their recognition throughout their entire high school career. They work to improve their GPA, get involved, and give back to their community. This means that any Sophomores or Juniors who are interested in the program need to start now to improve their student profile to have a fighting chance in becoming a Sterling Scholar.