Grizzly Opts Not Making the Grade

Grizzly Opts Not Making the Grade

Rachael Schafer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Grizzly Opts is a time to make up any work and get grades up. It is an all-encompassing program for teacher and student. This program was started a few years ago with the hopes that students would improve academically. Since the program has been put into place, students’ grades have improved significantly. However, the program has not done as well as hoped.

In Grizzly Opts students have the the chance to work one-on-one work with the teacher and get personalized help. Not only do students get the chance to work with teachers, they can also receive help from their peers. Mrs. Jennifer Fulger, performing arts teacher, said, “I like the student assistance offered in class.” This help can be seen as students offer help to one another and through student tutoring, which is headed up by the National Honor Society.

One issue with the program is that there are some students who don’t use Grizzly Opts the right way. Mr. Kevin Barton, one of our assistant principals said, “There are a slight few who aren’t using Grizzly opts to its full potential.” He also mentioned how many of these students may lack motivation, but that there are easy solutions. It is easy to be bogged down with the weight of classwork and homework, but what many students don’t realize is there are teachers and other faculty members out there who are willing to lend assistance. People like Mr. Barton are there to guide students to their fullest potential and don’t want to see them fail, which is one of the reasons that Copper Hills has allotted a half hour of the school day to the students.

Another problem with Griz Opts is that some teachers don’t check the students’ Griz Opts cards. “I feel that teachers might harbor a little bit of their students,” Barton said, “where they really shouldn’t be there.” The issue is that students with D’s and F’s are allowed into teachers classrooms and the offending grades aren’t fixed. This issue is going unresolved and it is up to the teachers to halt the issue.

On the other hand, there is a completely different problem, some classrooms are too full during Grizzly Opts. These are the core classes, mainly the math classes. Mr. Barton suggested collaboration and finding days where the certain levels of math could meet. Another suggestion  is to fully utilize the half an hour and have ACT and AP preparation classes. These preparation classes can be put into place by teachers and students alike.

Many of the problems relating to Grizzly Opts can be fixed, but it will require change from the entire student population, and a lending hand from teachers and other staff.