Is Copper Hills Wrestling for You?

Is Copper Hills Wrestling for You?

Hailee Lamoreaux, Sports Editor

The Copper Hills Boys’ Wrestling team are now 5A region champs four years in a row. To consistently be part of a team of champions year after year requires hard work and responsibility limited to the few who can take the heat. If you think high school wrestling might be the sport for you, here is a preview of what our Grizzlies endure, including one change that’s coming to the den.

The team needs to maintain the same weight every match, stay in shape and stay away from bad decisions, but most of all, they must survive Hell week. According to one of the wrestling managers, Chelsea Rasmussen, Junior, “You have to be able to be more mentally tough than physically tough to get through it. It can go from doing stadiums four to five times, to fireman carrying each other across the football field, to running across the whole school after [doing] every set of stairs indoors at least ten times. That’s just the warm-up.” So if someone thinks they have the heart, the gut, and the glory then this is the sport for them. If getting involved with the school is part of their bucket list, then why not indulge in this sport. Ryan Hatch, Senior, a wrestler from previous seasons, had gotten into the sport as a younger kid and encourages other join, “My dad had gotten me and my brother into it. We thought it was WWE, but it was nothing like that and we ended up loving it.”

So, how can someone join the team? In the past, anyone was allowed to join the team if they kept up. Due to intense levels of competition, this year things have changed. “We are doing tryouts this year because we don’t want someone to join and not work hard. [Tryouts] will help us take region again this year because everyone will be fighting for a spot and that will better us to work hard,” stated Josh Ashton, Sophomore. Tryouts will be held October 22 in the wrestling room right after school. If you think wrestling is the sport for you, show up, show out and prove why you deserve to be there.