Sports Rivals

Sports Rivals

Copper Hills football players line up against Herriman.

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

As the boys basketball team walks out of the locker room, they hear the roar of the crowd. As they huddle up, the chants of battling student sections nearly drown out their coach’s voice. The team, the school, and even the community have never wanted to win this badly. The players gets into formation as the ref comes over with the ball. Everything goes quiet as the ball goes up in the air, and the buzzer goes off.

Every high school has a rival. There may be different rivals for different sports, but every team at the high school level has another school they are always itching to beat.

Darby Freeland, Copper Hills Athletic Director says, “Based on the competition level, the rivals can change. For example, Bingham is a better rival for basketball, baseball, and softball because the competition level is higher.” Competing with teams who aren’t at the same talent level can make the games unbalanced and enjoyable for players and fans alike. Rivals can change through the years due to regions being altered or the level of talent dropping in particular sports.

Preparing for a rival game can be difficult. Teams will usually have comparable levels of talent, so they have to strategize and use all of their willpower during the game. Trevor Allfrey, Senior Varsity basketball player said, “You have to prepare with game plans and don’t let the game get into your head.” One game that Trevor may be referring to is our game against West Jordan. The winner of the “Dub Town Showcase” gets to bear the sacred Dub Town wrestling belt, which currently resides in the Copper Hills Boys’ Basketball trophy case.

Many people think that competitions or rivalries can be bad or unhealthy. Freeland disagrees. “[Having a rivalry] creates a healthy competition and can be fun for the student body to get involved,” Freeland says. Having competition makes people want to push themselves to the next level. They are always trying to be better than the person next to them. If there weren’t rivals then what would push individuals or teams to the next stage of talent? Most importantly, it’s exhilarating to see everyone get involved, and to care about the game.

We should go out and support our Grizzly sports teams as they go up against each of their rivals. Who do you think is Copper Hills biggest rival in your favorite sport? Send The Growl a message and let us know what you think.