Male Cheerleaders

Ethan Worland (Left) is one of the male cheerleaders for Copper Hills.

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller

Lainee Miller, Staff Writer

As another massive crowd is watching a Copper Hills football game underneath the Friday night lights, two male athletes emerge from a cluster of people towards the center of the field. Seniors, Ethan Worland, and Aaron Libby, sweat dripping down their faces, shout, “Go! Grizzlies, Go!” The crowd begins to rise, yet not all look at the two and their teammates the same.  

Male cheerleaders are often viewed differently due to the sport that they have chosen. Some men also are too scared to join because of the fear of humiliation from peers.  “I think there is a stigma with it, I feel like a lot of guys aren’t willing to try it or it’s not worth the time or not a real sport,” Libby says. There are many young men out there trying to break through this barrier, and two of them cheer for Copper Hills.

Male cheerleaders are often criticized for many of the false assumptions made about cheerleading. “I get made fun of a lot,” Worland says, “a lot of people think cheer is an easy sport or that we don’t do a lot. I think it is the most athletic sport. A lot of people think its a female sport, but I think it’s an actual co-ed sport.”

According to the Oxford Dictionary a sport is, “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” That is the perfect definition of cheerleading. They compete against the different schools in the state or nation with their cheers, stunts, and routines. Cheerleading is also physically demanding. You have to be able to lift people up, do flips, stunts, yell, and much more with little to no break. Libby says, “It’s probably the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done in my life. You know you are an athlete if you can cheer. I used to play baseball and nothing compares to cheer.” The fact is that these guys are working just as hard for their sport as others, but they are being ostracized by other athletes because of stereotypes towards their sport.

Both Libby and Worland are excited for the future. Both have been approached by other male athletes – interested in cheering.  Many sports today are becoming more more co-ed and cheer is one of them. Let’s start to show more respect to the men and women who cheer and work so hard every single day. Once we show everyone that we accept the idea of male cheerleaders, then more who have a passion for cheering will join. Come out and support them at games or competitions, and prove to them that while they cheer on our teams, we have their backs.