New Clubs to Copper Hills

New Clubs to Copper Hills

A Copper Hills student meditates on the sidewalk.

Zoraya Meneses

Zoraya Meneses

Zoraya Meneses

Jessica McMann, News Editor

Copper Hills is full of new things this year, new principal, new teachers, and especially new clubs. Two clubs people are attempting to start this year are the meditation club and the American Indian Student Association. These clubs are both brand new and welcoming any and all members who are willing to join and have fun.

The Growl spoke with the person that started the Meditation Club, Nathaniel Knox. He said he wanted to make a mark on the school in his senior year by starting a club with something he cared about. He chose meditation because of the stress relief and calming attributes, a perfect combination for any student. Knox said the club is, “Essentially gathering together to practice meditation. However Mr. Shields would be offering to teach [students] different ways of meditation, whether it be Eastern or Western, and tell [them] the history of it.”

Thursdays are the planned days for meetings, and as of right now, every other Thursday you can talk to the club advisor, Mr. Shields. He recommends that students who are stressed out join the club. He told The Growl, “Just come to relieve some stress, probably meet some people that are also interested, and hopefully start some calm friendships.” The club is open to anyone willing to join, and you don’t have to love meditation to learn more about it.

Meditation has been a proven stress reliever, and it’s a great idea for a student with a lot on their plate to join and learn how to clear their mind and calm their nerves. Harvard has done studies that have shown that mindfulness, a western form of meditation used often in therapeutic practices, lowers anxiety. Dr. Elizabeth Hoge said on the topic, “People with anxiety have a problem dealing with distracting thoughts that have too much power.” she recommends using meditation to quell these thoughts and balance your mind, adding that she thinks the treatment makes perfect sense.

Another new club is AISA, or the American Indian Student Association. Teyanna Kaibetoney is pioneering the club, which has been absent from the school for a couple of years. Kaibetoney was asked why she decided to restart the club, and she said, “Mainly just because I feel like there’s a need for it. I feel like a lot of people should know about the culture and the history of the native people.” At socials she said she plans to help inform and educate, regardless of race. She emphasized, “You don’t have to be Native American [to join]. That’s a common misconception and if you’re interested in the native people, then you should come because I want it to be really informative.”

You can go to AISA to become educated on the history of Native Americans, as well as find out how they are viewed and treated in modern society. You can also enjoy meeting new people and broadening your mind.

Both of these new clubs emphasize learning about a culture you may not be familiar with, and immersing yourself in it, and finding new passions that you may have. Both clubs promise to be fun, and hope to welcome you to their next meeting. The Meditation Club and AISA both meet in Mr. Shields’s room (1802).