The World Cup Post 2018

Sam McMullin, Staff Writer

With the end of the 2018 World Cup in Russia, we look towards the next Cups and where they will be hosted. The next one scheduled for 2022 will be hosted in Qatar. It also has been announced that in 2026, it will be brought to North America, with neighboring countries Canada and Mexico co-hosting. This is the first time in World Cup history the event will be in three countries. Many may know the U.S. team did not compete in the recent World Cup. As a host country, the United States will be secured a spot in the competition.

What will this historical event for relations between the three countries? Our political relationship with both Mexico and Canada is quite rough at the moment. We are close to a trade war with Canada and tensions have been high with Mexico since the election of President Trump. We will have had two presidential elections before the tournament, so it’s hard to say where we will be politically. Our relationship with these countries has the potential to totally change in the next 8 years, for better or worse. This World Cup could be seen as an opportunity for the countries to grow stronger and possibly ease tension.

The U.S. has hosted once the World Cup once before, in 1994. Mexico has hosted twice, in 1970 and 1986. Canada has yet to host a men’s World Cup, but held the women’s tournament in 2015. There are to be 60 games held in the U.S, 10 in Mexico, and 10 in Canada. There have been a few cities that are confirmed to be hosting in 2026. These include; Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton. Cities in the States have began bidding on where the matches will be held. These are the 17 cities that are being looked at; Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York/New Jersey, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington D.C.This list will be narrowed down to 10 by 2021. That leaves the question, with such a large soccer culture, and soccer specific stadium that has hosted world-cup qualifying matches, why is Salt Lake not being considered. The answer likely comes down to stadium sizes and revenue. Rio Tinto Stadium is a great atmosphere for soccer, but only holds about a third as many people as NFL stadiums.

Something else that will be new is that FIFA, the governing body of soccer, is looking to expand the amount of competing teams from 32 to 48. With more teams competing, there will be a bigger push to have more space and updated facilities. This is part of the reason it will be held in 3 separate countries. It already costs billions of dollars to host such an event. It cost Russia over 14 billion dollars to host the 2018 World Cup. We can only imagine that this increase in teams will bring quite a raise in cost. Hosting an event of this size is bound to bring in a lot of money. Now we can only look to the future as we prepare to the host the largest World Cup in history.