The School Mindset

For most, the school mindset is about eliminating bad habits.

Kassidy Babcock

Kassidy Babcock

Rachael Schafer, Co-Editor in Chief

When students come back to school every August they are stuck in the summer vacation mode and lose the mentality and motivation required for school. Every year it gets harder and harder for teens to wake up and go back to school. And this problem just grows. So that raises the question: How can this be rectified? The answer is to find the school mindset. This mindset is necessary to get out of the back-to-school blues. Psychologist Carol Dweck, author of Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, writes that there are two different types of mindsets that humans have. The first is the fixed mindset, where you believe that you are one thing or another, intelligent or unintelligent, and there is no changing that. However, the growth mindset is where you believe that you can grow and find improvement in yourself. Dweck says, “In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point.” The growth mindset is where we want to be, this is the school mindset that we need to have.

To start the year off fresh, new habits need to be developed. David G. Allen, CNN writer says, “the most effective way to adopt a habit is to replace a bad one with a better one.” It’s time to hang up the bad habits developed during the summer, like sleeping in, eating meals at irregular times, and excessive cell phone screen time. These habits should be traded in for regular sleeping patterns, consistent eating, and studying instead of living behind a screen. To trade in these bad habits, we need to first realize that there is a problem and then fix it. As Dweck says about the growth mindset, there is a realized problem and the realization that it needs to be fixed.

Most people have a hard time coming back to school because of their sleeping pattern. Sleep is key to creating a good school mindset. Regardless of what you are doing, if you don’t have a good night of sleep your body retaliates against you. You need to go to bed at the same time every day to set up a consistent sleeping pattern. Teenagers should be getting an average of nine and a half hours of sleep each night. So to get a good night’s sleep you should be going to bed around 9 or 10 p.m. if you plan on waking up around 6 or 7 in the morning. A runner trains in a similar way. First, starting off with the basics, knowing how far they can push themselves and slowly building up endurance. Don’t deprive yourself of sleep if it isn’t necessary. Everyone is different and has different sleeping patterns.

Another thing that helps when entering a new school year is having a system. Write down due dates on your phone and then write them down in a small planner or journal, so you have both electronic and paper schedules. If this seems like it amounts to a lot of work, think again. Planners can be as simple or complicated as you want. The biggest thing is to make sure to update your planner regularly, find a specific time every day to update it. Another helpful tip is to write down a to-do list and check them off as you go throughout the day so you don’t miss an assignment. All of these things should be practiced regularly to form good habits, and eventually create a good lifestyle of focus and motivation.