From a Senior to Sophomores: Advice About Surviving in High School

Sophomores get overwhelmed very easily on campus.

Kassidy Babcock

Kassidy Babcock

Bailey Van Wagoner, Managing Editor, Business Manager, Web Editor

Walking through the maze of halls in a new school is a nerve-racking experience for everyone. It’s impossible to know what to expect, and that can be a scary thing. There are some things that you can do to make the transition a little easier. Take some advice from someone who has been exactly where you are now.

Talk to Teachers and Upperclassmen

This may be a little intimidating for sophomores, but it pays off. And, it’s not as scary as it seems. The secret you need to know is: everyone is just as lost as you are. No one really has life figured out, but some have experienced a little more. So, go up to your teachers and ask for help with studying or homework. They will help you because that is what they are here for. Introduce yourself to juniors and seniors who are involved in high school life. By being friends with these students, you too will become involved. You will meet new people, discover clubs that interest you, and attend the Copper Hills events you will remember forever. Developing relationships with the people who understand how high school works will help you settle in and be successful at Copper Hills.

Take School Seriously

Even though your high school GPA may not matter as an adult, it matters now. Grades determine the activities and opportunities available to you at Copper Hills. The higher your grades, the more fun things you can do. Not only that, colleges and jobs will also take your GPA into account. So, get yourself a planner to stay organized, go to all your classes, get your assignments done on time, and take advantage of Grizzly Opts tutoring. If you’ve done all this and still can’t get your grades up, ask for help. There are so many resources available at Copper Hills, and our teachers, counselors, and administration are more than happy to provide those resources.

Get Involved and Have Fun

Now is the time to discover your talents and interests. There is no better place to do that than at Copper Hills. There are so many clubs, sports, and electives available for you to participate in. If you have an interest, there is an activity for you. Ask a counselor, talk to your friends, or visit the school website to find a club or class that fits your interests. It’s as easy as that. School events and activities are also a great way to meet people and spend time with friends. You can go to dances, attend sporting events, and support our school during fundraisers. The more involved you are, the more you will get out of your three short years of high school. Go out there and have fun.

Be Yourself

Everyone is deeply concerned about “fitting in,” but no one seems to know what that means. Maybe there is no such thing. Perhaps, there are so many different types of people that being “normal” is just being yourself. As long as you are comfortable with yourself, you’ll find people who like you for who you are. Go find those people. Be kind to your classmates, talk to new people, and stand up for people who can’t stand up for themselves. You never know who you might meet and what role they may play in your life.

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

It may sound corny, but high school is one of the most important experiences you will have in your life. Don’t spend it worrying about things that won’t matter next month. While a bad grade on an assignment, a dirty look in the hall, a one-sided crush, or a fight with a friend may feel like the end of the world, life goes on. Friends and sweethearts come and go, but the memories you make will last a lifetime. Make every one count. Take a breath and let go of the little things.

Following these simple rules will ensure your high school career is a successful as well as memorable one.