Cheating Culture

The Newest Plague

Cassandra Ivie, Business Manager, Web Developer, News Editor

We are told throughout our education that knowledge is valuable. The claim that school should be our primary focus and our capability in the future depends on it. But amidst the exclamations of the virtues of this time period, another discovery runs deeper. ACT and GPA score hold ridiculous bearing on your future. Where you fall on a matrix holds the key for the college you can attend, the scholarships you can receive, and the degrees you can pursue.

Mr. Marquez, computer science teacher, guessed close to eighty percent of students cheat. “You should see how many kids I had during the state final switch between screens and google things. I called them out, but the cheating is happening.” Other students guessed that anywhere between twenty percent and eighty percent of students cheat.

Not only is it prevalent, it’s becoming ingrained. A cheating culture is developing. Students see that others cheat, so they feel they are left with no other option

The cause of this cheating culture is debatable. “People don’t want to put effort into studying,” commented CJay Dansie, Senior. “We are a lazy society,” added Zach White. Other students thought it has a deeper cause. “We put so much pressure on grades and success that students feel that they are not good enough and will never be good enough, so they must cheat to succeed,” said Natalie Smiley, Sophomore. “We’re always told you have to get a 4.0 or you won’t get a scholarship,” Aaron Schindler, Junior added. “People tell themselves they can’t do it,” stated Lacie Jacobson, “they convince themselves that the only way is to cheat.”

Even students that are considered brilliant find themselves looking for new ways to get notes, help from friends, or answers, even when they know they shouldn’t be. The problem with a practice becoming a culture is it touches every aspect of that society. Even students that stand by their integrity feel that they are at a disadvantage because of the unethical practices of those around them.

“The people who want to do it, do it, and those who don’t, don’t,” stated Hailee Walker, an AP student. She described how no amount of peer approval for cheating will adjust her standards. Schindler described his own perspective, “When it comes down to it, on the AP test you don’t get notes. You’re left with what you know. Even though you get bad grades throughout the year, you’ll learn for the test. You learn from your mistakes. You’re the one who comes out with the knowledge.”

What is the solution? Can cheating be eradicated? “They need stricter policies on it,” stated Mr. Marquez. He went on to explain the process during his high school years going from detention, to a referral, to suspension. He believes this stricter consequences brought more meaning to the rules. “I think that any way to have school will have cheating. It will be there,” was Smiley’s response. Cheating might be unavoidable.

“Tests aren’t supposed to be easy,” Schindler ended, “They are designed to put pressure on you. They are designed to give stress. That’s how it is in the real world.” The cheating culture is undeniably present, but causes and solutions are still in the works. Either way, it is up for students to determine their own standards and their commitment to them.