Speech and Debate Region

Another win for Copper Hills

Region trophies for 'sweeps' in both the speech and debate categories.

Hala Louviere

Hala Louviere, Co-Editor in Chief

This weekend marks another success for the Copper Hills Speech and Debate Team. After a long day of competing at Region, the team brought home the trophy. This is the third consecutive year Grizzlies have won their Region competition. Now, they move onto State.

The team is ecstatic to bring home this victory. They have practiced six days a week, staying at the school until 6 or 7 PM. One whiteboard in the debate classroom hosts every member’s name alongside the list of tasks they need to complete. Erin Howell, competing in Public Forum, has to write four cases, do 20 rounds, give 200 other speeches, and find 30 additional articles before State. “Practicing so much was a big reason for why we swept,” Howell said. This intense practice schedule set the team up for success.

The next two weeks will be full of revisions, redo speeches, and practice rounds. On March 9th, the team will drive up to Weber State, ready to compete against other 6A schools. Hopefully, their hard work will pay off. Vice President Vivian Lee is confident in them. “With the pressure of winning Region two years prior, we’re definitely working just as hard as we have in the past, and it’s paying off,” she said.

The team won overall in both areas, speech and debate. Many people placed in speech events, including Alyssa Appleman (1st, National Extemp), Cheyenne Hahn (2nd, National Extemp), Joy Bryce (3rd, National Extemp), Tyler Houston (1st, Foreign Extemp), Cassandra Ivie (2nd, Foreign Extemp), Daud Mumin (2nd, Oratory), and Justyne Colotla (3rd, Oratory).

In debate events, Grizzlies had even more success. They swept Policy with Vivian Lee and Nate Tanner (1st), Arianna Nelson and Bailey Brunyer (2nd), and Josh Memmott and Gage Brunyer (3rd). Copper Hills also swept Lincoln Douglas with Anastacia Tennant (1st), Kylee Lewis (2nd), and Kiara Pengue (3rd). In Public Forum, Hala Louviere and Trinity Silimon took 2nd and Asia Rowell and Erin Howell took 3rd. Finally, in Congress, Jack Waters took 1st, Matt Cuthbert took 2nd, and Alyssa Beckstead took 3rd. Overall, Grizzlies did amazing and are prepared and excited for State.