Honorary Grizzly

Drew Olsen is named Team Captain

Grizzlies+welcome+their+starting+line-up.+
Grizzlies welcome their starting line-up.

Cassey Ivie

Cassey Ivie

Maddy Hutchins, Staff Writer

On Friday the 9th, the Copper Hills basketball boys dedicated their game to Drew Olsen, who suffers from FIRES, and made him the Honorary Team Captain. Drew was diagnosed with Febrile Infection-Related Epilepsy Syndrome (FIRES) in July of 2017. It’s an extremely rare condition which causes frequent uncontrollable seizures. He’s been in the hospital for more than 100 days and had to undergo several induced comas. Through everything, Drew and his family have remained hopeful even in the bleakest of times. They’ve demonstrated astonishing faith and courage as they fight this complicated disease. As a consequence of this disease, Drew has been unable to participate the way he would’ve liked to in his senior year. He was a Madrigal but due to his sudden diagnosis, he hasn’t been able to enjoy his senior year to the fullest.

The game started out welcoming the starting line-up and, with the crowd hyped, Drew made his way down the line as the crowd roared. Drew had the biggest smile on his face as he waved to the crowd, full of excitement. This night was for him.

Cassey Ivie
Grizzlies huddled, including their honorary team captain, before they begin the game.

The support within the gym was tangible and breathtaking. The student section was packed, many with “Drew Strong,” shirts, and others wearing Drew’s favorite colors: blue and orange. “You’re wearing my shirt! Oh my gosh thank you so much!” Drew said with the brightest smile across his face. Across the court was the parent section, speckled with the same colors, who also cheered as Drew grinned at half court swimming in the support.

It goes to show that the Grizzlies of Copper Hills High School never leave a fellow Grizzly behind. “That was so much fun! Go Grizzlies!” Drew cheered after the game. Copper Hills and the community never fail to step up and offer a lending hand to those who are struggling. Drew will forever be affected by this sudden disorder, but the constant grin on his face displayed his never ending courage. This experience will live long in his heart, and in the hardest of times, Drew will remember that the Grizzlies are right behind him, cheering him on, just like at the game.