Swimming to State

Madelyn Hutchins, Staff Writer

January 4th was another swim meet for our Grizzlies which was one of many more to come plus a trip down to Cedar City for a competition between high schools. This meet was against Herriman high school and according to Kayla Boyton, a member of the swim team, it was very successful.

When asked about placement in region, one coach commented, “It’s a hard question because the regions just changed and we now fall into a 6A category so the rankings are uncertain but we usually fall right in the middle of the other schools including one of the top contenders, Kearns High School.”

Coach also said that the times at this swim meet were very important because they will be the deciding factor whether swimmers qualify for their state competition. Many rejoiced after seeing their times, many exited the pool very solemnly, and one student sat on the benches and fell to tears because her mistakes costed her a spot at the state competition.

The Grizzly spirit stayed throughout the whole meet from the very beginning when the team chanted “This is Grizzly Territory!” to the very end when the team was exhausted and ready to collapse. The Grizzlies clearly gave it their all in each of the events and even when someone was lagging behind, their teammates never hesitated to cheer them on. It was a meet full of success and valor as well as defeat and exhaustion.

Make sure to follow the team’s success at their upcoming meets and cheer your fellow Grizzlies on as they fly through the water.