Christmas Classics

Seasonal Films that Inspire Stringing the Popcorn Instead of Eating It

Alexis Hilton

Alexis Hilton

Riley Baxter, Staff Writer

Bells are jingling, snow is falling, the scent of cookies and cinnamon fill homes as charity, love, warmth, and kindness fill hearts. These have been hallmarks of Christmas for a long time, accommodating slight changes. The heated Subaru taking the place of a one-horse open sleigh, Mariah Carey replaces Bing Crosby, and the TV replaces the fireplace as the family’s gathering place.

One of the things that hasn’t changed, however, are the Christmas movies that play during this special time of the year. Perhaps the most recognizable of these are from Rankin/Bass Productions, the studio that gave us classics such as “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “The Year Without a Santa Claus,” and “Frosty the Snowman.” More modern favorites include “The Santa Claus,” “The Polar Express,” or “Elf.”

Many of these movies are watched throughout the nation, their classic nature coming from lessons taught within. “A Christmas Carol,” another Christmas classic, written in 1843 by Charles Dickens, was a short novella about a cruel, greedy, hard-hearted old man. One night his deceased friend visits him and gives him a warning of what will become of him when he dies. After being visited by the 3 spirits of Christmas (Past/Present/Future), he has a change of heart.

The message of these Christmas movies are ones to take to heart. From “A Christmas Carol” teaching us of charity and goodwill towards our fellow man, to various Rankin/Bass productions teaching us to get along nicely with our peers, to the comedies teaching us to be ourselves and never stop trying, all the classic Christmas movies offer valuable lessons that lighten and brighten our Christmas spirit.

So whether you’ll be watching “The Nightmare before Christmas” or “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” this holiday season, just remember that these movies have taught generations of children the love, peace, and warmth that we associate with this time of the year.