Home Turf

Was the New Football Field Worth It?

The+Copper+Hills+student+section+during+a+home+game.+
The Copper Hills student section during a home game.

Morgan Harris

Morgan Harris

Portia Price, Sports Editor

The student section buzzes and glitters with excitement and noise. Faces are painted with grins and acrylic dots, numbers, and bear paws. The spirit stick slams against the bleachers as cheerleaders “pump it up.” Home football games are prime events of the high school experience, so why did we only have three this year?

Our only home games were the homecoming game against Ridgeline High School on September 8th (13-44), September 29th against East (0-57), and Senior Night against West Jordan in the following week (14-28). The Grizzlies falling short in all three games.

The main factor for the scarcity of home games was the amount of time it took for the new field and track to be finished. The first game of the season was against Kearns High School, and it was initially scheduled to be a home game, but it ended up being away due to this issue. The football field was originally planned to be completed before school even started, but the construction of the track delayed the finished product all the way through homecoming week. Principal Todd Quarnberg says, “The reason the field took so long [was that] one company was doing four different fields,” Quarnberg said, referring to Copper Hills, Bingham, West Jordan, and Riverton, “so I think they just got stretched too thin and we were given misinformation of when the field would be finished. I was told at one point, we would be done by the first of August, and the date kept getting moved back. Truthfully, this principal’s just glad it’s done and over.”

Football season quickly came and went, and although all three home games resulted in a loss, it’s apparent that we’ll miss the hype of Friday night lights. Jared Amoah, varsity Football corner/running back says, “It sucked only having three home games. Being a senior and a starter made me naturally want to play at home more. We wanted that home field advantage because you have more of a potential to win.”  Gavin Hawes, Spirit and Pride SBO, believes the huge home field student section makes the difference. “The larger student sections can give the team more energy to keep pushing and make some plays. We act as the 12th man on the field.” With this point being made, we can’t help but wonder if some of these away games could have had a potentially different outcome. Alyssa Gatten, Senior, says, “I feel like we should have had more games at home. Most students go to them, and the football team gets more support at home games.” With home games, both the team and the students have advantages. They are conveniently closer to the students, and it’s free to get in.

Maggie Spencer, Senior, says, “I think football games are a great way for students to really connect with each other and their school. It seems kind of silly that a perfectly beautiful and good field should just sit at home and not be used for more home games.” The new field took a ton of time, money, and energy to complete, and it was hardly used this season. Was it worth it? The lack of success from our football program has left students wondering if the money spent on the turf should have been put to something a little more impactful.