Student Anxiety

The Stresses and Anxieties of the Classroom

A student stressing out over school.

A student stressing out over school.

Karlee Jacobson

Karlee Jacobson

A student stressing out over school.

Dillon Sprague-Fitzpatrick, Staff Writer

Have you ever walked into your school or classroom and felt overwhelming stress or anxiety? Then you are experiencing something that another 30% of teens experience every year in school. These high school students can suffer from both stress and anxiety just from the sheer amount of work given to them, causing students’ mental health percentage to go up in the last couple years. Even though the amount of students with anxiety and stress has gone up, not as many have been seeking help. Many are afraid that they will be judged or mistreated for asking for assistance. Stress and Anxiety are two different things that often times go hand in hand. Stress is when your brain is mentally strained from constant use, this can be caused by lots of school assignments or test. Anxiety is a state of excessive uneasiness or apprehension that can oftentimes result in panic attacks or compulsive behaviors.

“A lot of times people have anxiety and different stuff can set it off,” says the school psychologist Ms. MacDougall. “I would say that probably individually, people know what their triggers are. You may not be as aware during high school, but I think some of it might be the workload, or if there is a lot of tests coming up at the same time.”

These triggers that Ms. MacDougall mentions are when extreme stress or nervousness lead to an anxiety attack. Things that surprise you and catch you off guard can also cause anxiety. “Just keeping my grades up and making it so I have good grades so my family doesn’t panic is what gives me anxiety,” says a senior at this school, Jashon Asay. “For me, stress is caused more by the friends I hang out with,” he says. “ I have friends that are always telling me their problems so I get stressed because of their problems.”

Anxiety and stress, in short, can affect many high school students worldwide and they often don’t know how to get help. If you are too scared to talk to someone, a few things you can try are breathing exercises, or listening to white noise. These can help you relax mentally. You can also get to know your triggers, so you can avoid them. However, nothing will help as much as therapy and being able to talk through your anxiety, stress, and depression. So seek out people around you who you can talk to, that way you don’t have to keep it all inside and you can get that weight off your chest. If you talk to someone, it can get better. It may never be fixed completely, but it will get better.